Independant Storage Pool possible?

Iluciv

Aug 26, 2013
Hi There firstly I'm pretty new to all this so go easy please.

I have built a server and installed proxmox on a single 2.5 750g WD black hdd of which I currently have one VM installed (Amahi) 25gig VM. I have now plugged in 4 x 3tb WD green drives for my data store but I'm trying to work out the best way to go about adding it so that I can point what ever VM I load up to so that it sees these 4 drives as storage (and also the ability to add more drives in the future.

Basically this is just a home server that I'm going to use for storing of my files and loading up VMs to learn from stuff around with nuke and rebuild etc the data storage though I want to be able to use regardless of what VM I have running.

The reason I have only one box and not a nas running as well is the missues.

So is this possible am I able to configure proxmox this way or am I off the track and not comprehending properly? I want to keep the 2.5 750g drive separate from the storage and keep it for the vms and proxmox OS, I don't plan on running heaps of VM's at once just spining up the one I'm playing on and having the amahi one running most of the time as it serves stuff for my lan.

I've also been reading up on ZFS as I thought that might be worthwhile to look at is it possible to create a ZFS pool for data storage out of these four disks?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, I found the how-to (linked below) after continued reading. I think I'll have a go walking through this as it seems to sort of do what I want to do.

Setting up a File Server and Hypervisor using Proxmox and ZFS
http://www.nerdoncoffee.com/?p=495

Actually, I found the how-to (linked below) after continued reading. I think I'll have a go walking through this as it seems to sort of do what I want to do.

Setting up a File Server and Hypervisor using Proxmox and ZFS
http://www.nerdoncoffee.com/?p=495

I am actually just passing the drives to the VM's from their conf files. Same for MDADM arrays. Not sure if its the best (most reliable) way of doing things but it works well... I will look at the link you posted and see what turns out from that

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!