Update my ProxMox

AntoWkill

Jul 31, 2013
Hello,
I have 5 server with proxmox version: 3.0-23 it is advisable to update my proxmox system? I can have some problem to current vm in this server or the update don't give error to the actual vm?
For update my system i can execute command : apt-get update? or other command?

Thanks

I have 5 server with proxmox version: 3.0-23 it is advisable to update my proxmox system?

yes, both for pve new features & bug correction and also for upstream (debian repo) new features & bug correction

I can have some problem to current vm in this server or the update don't give error to the actual vm?

That depends. It should work, but since you have 4 nodes, it is advisable to test new releases on a atest node, and try to run clones (resores) of typical VM/CT, on the same storages. If you find something not working, a solution, ora workaround can usually be found posting errors and system detsails in this forum. And before upgradeing, be sure to have valid backups (ie restored successfully) of yor critical VM/CT. Should anything go wrong or be not fastly solvable, you can at least go back.

Marco

yes, both for pve new features & bug correction and also for upstream (debian repo) new features & bug correction

That depends. It should work, but since you have 4 nodes, it is advisable to test new releases on a atest node, and try to run clones (resores) of typical VM/CT, on the same storages. If you find something not working, a solution, ora workaround can usually be found posting errors and system detsails in this forum. And before upgradeing, be sure to have valid backups (ie restored successfully) of yor critical VM/CT. Should anything go wrong or be not fastly solvable, you can at least go back.

Marco

How I can create full backups of proxmox?

there is no specific tool. any regular backup tool could work
eg: backuppc.

but for me the best method is backup vm/ct, test restore, reinstall pve nodes, restore vm/ct

Marco

there is no specific tool. any regular backup tool could work
eg: backuppc.

but for me the best method is backup vm/ct, test restore, reinstall pve nodes, restore vm/ct

Marco

But if i backusp on promxmox all vm and test if they work, after update of proxmox if i have error, i can use the same backups os old machines?

correct backups taken on old version of pve (maybe not too old, like 1.x but those could work anyway) should work after pve uprgade, given that the upgraded pve is working without any problem of its own.
As said above, I suggest you to test the new release on an test node and check the restores
Take care to restore test backups to other VMIDs than the originals if they share the storage, and/or use different VMBR before start them: in other words, be careful with conflicts, avoid to have two IDENTICAL vm on the same network, because they will make troubles.

Marco

But id i do bvackup of vm, i need to download it? and the vm with the update will be deleted or only for problem i need to restore? Is usually need to restore? or usually don't need and the upgrade don't have any problem?

Do your backups on external storage (network) so, whatever happens you don't loose them. Just upgrading shoud never be a risk for local storage, but should you eventyually restore pve from scratch, for any reason, your backup are safer elsewhere.
Also, backup the whole /etc/ foder of at least 1 well-working pve node, if possible. There are all kind of current settings mostly as *.conf files.

Marco

Do your backups on external storage (network) so, whatever happens you don't loose them. Just upgrading shoud never be a risk for local storage, but should you eventyually restore pve from scratch, for any reason, your backup are safer elsewhere.
Also, backup the whole /etc/ foder of at least 1 well-working pve node, if possible. There are all kind of current settings mostly as *.conf files.

Marco

how i can do backups on external storage? i need to backups and after upload to other server the vm backups?

no, you need to define a storage in pve that is on another server (ie: not "local"), and enable it for backups
or you can connect a usb drive, mount it under (eg) "/mnt/backupusbdrive" and than use that folder for backups
see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

Then start backup jobs eiter manually or automatically (nightly jobs), is the same but select the new backup storage.
As usual, be careful, do tests before.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!