2 serial ports and parallel port show up in Win7/2008R2 Guests after updating to 3.2

eSpezi

Mar 22, 2014
Hi,

I've updated to 3.2 and since then have 1 parallel port in the device manager with no problems and 2 serial ports which can't start (Code 10) in all KVM Windows 7/2008R2 guests. (I have no other guest OSes)

I tried to find out what these are, as I don't have any parallel or serial port on the host's mainboard, but didn't find any hint.
I also tried to delete them but they are autodiscovered again after deletion.
Looked up the vm.conf of the machines but there are no entries pointing to these devices.

Could someone tell me what they are (for)?
Also I would appreciate a hint on how to get them working properly, if they are needed - or if not, how to disable them on the host side, so that windows doesn't recognize them.

Thank you in advance!
Harry

Re: 2 serial ports and parallel port show up in Win7/2008R2 Guests after updating to

Weird, I just noticed this on a 2008 R2 guest.
I don't see the ports on a Windows 7 32-bit guest or Windows Server 2012 R2 guest on the same host node. Don't think my pfSense (BSD) guest sees them either.

Re: 2 serial ports and parallel port show up in Win7/2008R2 Guests after updating to

To further investigate I installed a new Win7 Pro 64bit VM from scratch and also get the ports.
According to ergosteurs post, they only seem to show up on 64bit windows guests.
To confirm that, I just installed a new Win7 Pro 32bit VM but the ports show up there as well.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Restarted my host and the ports appear on the 32-bit guest as well. My guess is some update that happened within the last month, possibly after March 14 (date my 32-bit client was installed). I do see that I installed a bunch of updates to PVE, qemu and related packages on March 14, after installing the 32-bit client.

Last edited:

It would be very nice, if anybody could point out, why these ports suddenly appeared and what they are for.
I feel uncomfortable not knowing, what's going on and if there is a (stability) risk, if the serial ones do not work properly in the windows guest.
Thanks again!

I have the same scenery on my Windows systems, inclusive with Win XP 32 Bits SP3.

Please anybody that can answer us

Same problem with windows 2003 R2

do you have enable spice console ?

Hi Spirit

- I did not install spice, and so far I don't know why I have those serials ports in all my Windows guests and appear as not installed?.

Other questions about of Spice:
- As my Workstation is a Win XP SP3 32 Bits, can i have spice for the communication with the guests?, and if the answer is positive, how can do it?, or is the same procedure to follow compared with a Win 7?
- In the wiki spice of PVE say "Proxmox VE 3.1 introduced Spice as a technology preview", then in PVE 3.2 is a technology preview?

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:

Same problem with windows 2003 R2

Downgrade pve-qemu-kvm to 1.4-17 solve the problem. JUST for TESTING
Code:
wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/wheezy/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_1.4-17_amd64.deb
dpkg -i pve-qemu-kvm_1.4-17_amd64.deb

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!