QEMU Template questions

I have /var/lib/vz/template/qemu/ but i try sticking a .qcow2 file in there and I don't seem to see it in proxmox web interface, what is it for? do i use a different file type? can i use stacklet templates with KVM? If so, how? I tried googling a lot of this stuff but can't seem to locate any answers any help is appreciated.

I have /var/lib/vz/template/qemu/ but i try sticking a .qcow2 file in there and I don't seem to see it in proxmox web interface, what is it for? do i use a different file type? can i use stacklet templates with KVM? If so, how? I tried googling a lot of this stuff but can't seem to locate any answers any help is appreciated.

Just an update on this, I tried the following in /var/lib/vz/template/qemu:

.tar.gz
.qcow2
.raw.img
.raw.img.txz

I refreshed proxmox and didn't see anything on the serverlist where templates would usually be?

Hi, what are you trying to do? are you just guessing what that folder is for, or you wish to see/use those images/files (as what?) in pve web gui and think that folder should be related? Marco

Hi, what are you trying to do? are you just guessing what that folder is for, or you wish to see/use those images/files (as what?) in pve web gui and think that folder should be related? Marco

I am ultimately trying to be able to use stacklet KVM templates but i don't know how so i am assuming/guessing that the qemu folder inside the templates dir is for kvm templates if i'm wrong i just want to be able to use stacklet templates for kvm.

Ok

here is how kvm templating currently works in pve
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VM_Templates_and_Clones

basically, it is supposed that you create a template _in_ pve from a working VM. Once you have a base VM, then, you convert that to a template, and you can then "clone" from that template.

so, afaik, you could create a new VM with a fake small disk (qcow2), then stop it and use pve shell to replace this (with the same name) with your image in the same format. after reboot, you shoud be able to boot your staklet vm.

if this works, you can convert the VM to a pve template and use it to clone other VMs (see above link)

it should work...

I dont' think that /var/lib/vz/template/qemu/ is involved, atm. I have templates and clones, but that folder is empty. base images are in the usual kvm folder, as regular images, but they are used as "golden".

[edit] you can also use vmdk/raw images, but templating in pve works with qcow2, so you will have to convert them to qcow2 before, in that case, with storage migration feature...

Marco

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!