VM to VM Network traffic, same node, limited to 1gbits/s?

firegs

Apr 8, 2013
Gentlemen,

I have a Proxmox node directly connected to a GlusterFS cluster via Infiniband. I installed two Windows 7 VM's to the Proxmox node. Running HD Tune on the Win7 VM's, I'm seeing CRAZY good throughputs and high IOPS. :D

I then created a bridge device (vmbr1) that did not bridge to any interfaces. Gave it to both VM's. Configured a new IP network for said interfaces. Both interfaces show up at connected @ 10GBE within the VM's.

I am *clearly* stuck at 1GBE transfer speeds via the bridged interface. A maximum of 50MB/s reads and 30MB/s writes. The HDTune results say I can read from their own disks at 250-350MB/s.

Also, using iperf between VM's, it hard limits at 1GBE speeds. iperf also hard limits at 1GBE speeds going from the VM to its Proxmox host. Yes, they are using the latest virtio drivers on each VM, and yes - I have done the Windows7 virtio performance tuning. No change.

According to this thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/12...ual-Switch-Speed-adjustable?p=69078#post69078

Tom got 9.06 Gbits/sec testing from a Linux VM to the Proxmox VE host, virtio network. I am getting 1/10th of those speeds.

What gives?

Put a linux VM on your host, then check the speed to the host from there. The windows virtio drivers are not as efficient as linux, and there could be a limiting factor based on your cpu as well.

Last edited:
Put a linux VM on your host, then check the speed to the host from there. The windows virtio drivers are not as efficient as linux, and there could be a limiting factor based on your cpu as well.

Oh, I'm sure it works fine with Linux. Problem is, all of my major VMs that are moving tons of data are Windows Server VM's. CPU is not an issue at all. I'm just surprised that the Virtio drivers clearly say theyre connected at 10GBE - but do not perform anywhere close. Why even have it as an option if it doesnt work? o_O

I'm in the same boat. It's really a KVM windows virtio driver issue. I've been running a older driver because it is stable, but there are newer ones out there.

I'm in the same boat. It's really a KVM windows virtio driver issue. I've been running a older driver because it is stable, but there are newer ones out there.

Terrible. Just terrible.

And I assume there no other work around..

Terrible. Just terrible.

And I assume there no other work around..

I just ran iperf, and I'm getting 3.12Gb/sec between a windows 2012 VM and the host. My server is nothing special. What virtio drivers are you running - maybe that is the difference?

I just ran iperf, and I'm getting 3.12Gb/sec between a windows 2012 VM and the host. My server is nothing special. What virtio drivers are you running - maybe that is the difference?

0.1-74

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!