Fencing with Dell Drac Does Not Work

ThOr101

Jan 7, 2014
I'll put all the places I've been and things I've tried already at the end of the message, but the tl'dr is. I _THINK_ I have fencing setup correctly, but I keep getting this error:

Code:
root@moxie1:/etc/pve# fence_node -vv moxie3
fence moxie3 dev 0.0 agent fence_drac5 result: error from agent
agent args: nodename=moxie3 agent=fence_drac5 cmd_prompt=admin1-> ipaddr=10.14.0.12 login=user passwd=pass secure=1 
fence moxie3 failed
So as you can see, I don't really get a good idea of exactly what is failing.

From the syslog I can see this:
Code:
Feb 26 21:37:57 moxie1 fence_drac5: Parse error: Ignoring unknown option 'nodename=moxie3
Feb 26 21:38:03 moxie1 fence_node[41998]: fence moxie3 failed

Command line it works:
Code:
fence_drac5 -x -l user -p pass -a 10.14.0.12 -o status -n 1 -v -c "admin1->"
user@10.14.0.12's password: 
/admin1-> racadm serveraction powerstatus
Server power status: ON
/admin1->Status: ON

Excerpt from my cluster.conf file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="SuperCluster" config_version="8">

<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
  </cman>
  <fencedevices>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="10.14.0.10" login="user" name="node1-drac" passwd="pass" secure="1"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="10.14.0.11" login="user" name="node2-drac" passwd="pass" secure="1"/>
    <fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="10.14.0.12" login="user" name="node3-drac" passwd="pass" secure="1"/>
  </fencedevices>

<clusternodes>
  <clusternode name="moxie1" votes="1" nodeid="1">
      <fence>
        <method name="1">
          <device name="node1-drac"/>
        </method>
      </fence>
  </clusternode>

<clusternode name="moxie2" votes="1" nodeid="2">
    <fence>
      <method name="1">
        <device name="node2-drac"/>
      </method>
    </fence>
  </clusternode>

continues

This URL said to put a timeout in there:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/14162-Error-fencing-proxmox-cluster-node
I tried that, as you can see below. But I can't tell that it actually slowed anything down. I also didn't find any XML documentation indicating this was even a valid parameter
Code:
<fencedevice agent="fence_drac5" cmd_prompt="admin1->" ipaddr="10.14.0.12" login="user" name="node3-drac" passwd="pass" secure="1"  timeout='35'/>

This URL said that there is a bug in the code, and it is referencing the wrong array value:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15423-ProxMox-3-0-IMS-fencing-problem
I have modified the code as per the instructions, with no effect.
I also can't prove that fencing_snmp.py is even being called since I am using Drac

I have updated all my software to the latest versions as of 2/25/14.
I have verified the client is actually talking to the iDrac (watching SSH traffic from the host to the target).
I tried setting secure="0" to see if I could force telnet, and view the comms between the two boxes, but it still only goes over SSH.
Even when SSH is disabled on the Drac, and telnet is available.

I set this all up with these instructions:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing
Including the modifications for iDrac6 which I have performed.

Usernames, passwords and some IP address changed to protect the non-functional.

I'm open to suggestions, and if that fails, I'll accelerate my purchase of a license to get dedicated support for this issue. Just seems to me as though I shouldn't be the first person encountering this on reasonably popular hardware.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Thor,

I have the same problem...I have purchased a subscription....but not time to open a ticket.

I have 3 Dell PE 515 Servers with IDRAC 6.

Would be fine to hear other responses.

Mac

I have idrac 7 and I couldn't use the idrac fencing and instead I used ipmi fencing like this:
( I also had to create a dedicated user.. with root it didn't work )

<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="192.168.162.90" login="fence" name="proxmox1-drac" passwd="123456" secure="1"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="192.168.162.91" login="fence" name="proxmox2-drac" passwd="123456" secure="1"/>

make sure you have ipmitools installed and you can manually test for ipmi status

I have idrac 7 and I couldn't use the idrac fencing and instead I used ipmi fencing like this:
( I also had to create a dedicated user.. with root it didn't work )

<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="192.168.162.90" login="fence" name="proxmox1-drac" passwd="123456" secure="1"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" ipaddr="192.168.162.91" login="fence" name="proxmox2-drac" passwd="123456" secure="1"/>

make sure you have ipmitools installed and you can manually test for ipmi status

Hi, seem that drac_5 and some others script don't work anymore (all fencing script in python), because "nodename" argument
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1068692

I'll work on this

Maybe it just works with --ip. This works for me from the command-line:
Code:
fence_drac5 --ip="10.1.6.7" --username="prox-a-drac" --password="***********************" --ssh --verbose --debug-file="/tmp/foo" --command-prompt="admin1->" --action="off"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!