LXC 1.0 released, is now ready as a openvz replacement?

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, I've nothing particular against openvz except the fact that is not in the mainline kernel, so patches and particular kernel is needed.
I remember long time ago Proxmox's team telling that LXC was not good enough to replace openvz, so wondering if now it is and if such change is planned or considered.
Thanks a lot
Marco Menardi

I remember long time ago Proxmox's team telling that LXC was not good enough to replace openvz, so wondering if now it is and if such change is planned or considered.

LXC still miss basic features like live migration.

AFAIK there are still some important features missing (and there are still some security concerns).
what about live migration? checkpoint/restore? seems still not available on LXC.

LXC is not yet the number one choice for hosting foreign containers (from untrusted customers).

My personal opinion: LXC will not replace OpenVZ, but can be an additional feature in future. (=> create CT - select type "LXC or OpenVZ", ...).

I know this is an old post... but has any consideration been put in to LXD? Probably is not viable for immediate adoption as it was only just released, but sometime in the future it may. The key being that it builds on top of LXC and offers live migration:

https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/introduction/

Having a 3.x kernel with KVM+containers would be excellent.

I know this is an old post... but has any consideration been put in to LXD? Probably is not viable for immediate adoption as it was only just released,

AFAIK this is just a small script on top of LXC (live migration with CRIU) - I cannot see whats new there?

Hmm. Being able to do Docker in Proxmox would be great - the market for Docker is rapidly expanding... I assume Docker's successive provisioning in OS layers isn't possible with OpenVZ, only in LXC. So I think Tom is right - it'd be a different CT type. That LXD resolves blockers such as migration is significant.

That is just a daemon/wrapper, and directly use LXC?

I would also welcome LXC/LXD integrated into Proxmox eventually as a new guest type. Maybe only for testing first (with no migration/snapshots), but supposedly it is the future of OS containers.

Don't get me wrong, OpenVZ is awesome, we are using it every day on many guests, but it's not getting the attention it deserves:
- there are no new features, especially not in Proxmox (where is ploop?)
- it can't really be integrated with other technologies (like ZFS snapshots)
- it still requires an ancient kernel (RHEL7 is out for a year, where is the OpenVZ patched kernel?)
- it looks more and more abandoned every day

What do you think dietmar, do you see OpenVZ in the future?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!