ProxMox inside virtualbox no guest networking

dersini

Feb 21, 2014
I don't know if anyone has tried this before but ProxMox seems to be running just fine inside Virtualbox. I connected three nodes creating a cluster and a fourth VM (inside Virtualbox) to serve as NAS for the cluster using FreeNAS. Now, all would be perfect if it wasn't for lack of network connectivity in guests contained inside ProxMox. I had them setup using bridged networking and they do get an IP address from the main DHCP server... it stops there, no ICMP packet is getting to the outside world. TCPDUMP on eth0 shows ARP requests. ProxMox may not be a flagship like vmware's vSphere but it certainly caught my eye some time ago and I intend to explore its capabilities, at least in virtualbox for now. To better visualize my setup:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit >>> VirtualBox >>> ProxMox >>> WindowsXP 32bit

Thank you,

dersini

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issue here.
I'm completely new to Proxmox, and as I didn't have a spare computer to install it on, I used Virtualbox. I'll plagiarize the setup visualization given by dersini:

Windows 7 64bit >>> VirtualBox >>> Proxmox >>> Debian 6.0
Iinstalled Proxmox on a external hard drive though, that way I can boot on Proxmox with my computer whenever I want to. And what's weird is that, I just did it and had exactly the same problem. So I doubt that Virtualbox is to blame here.

I have spent quite a fair amount of time looking for solutions to this issue on this forum and on google but nothing solved the problem. If anyone would be kind enough to help us with this...

Thank you in advance,

braincoke

I installed the setup inside vMware workstation 9.0 and the whole thing runs perfectly. I am guessing it has something to do with the integrated VB virtual switch.

I tried installing Proxmox inside VMware workstation 9.0 and it runs perfectly for me as well.
You must be right dersini. Thanks for the update :)

Hey,

Nice to see it can be done, but can someone post their VirtualBox config please as I keep on getting an error to say it cant find a processor which supports visualization. On a quick Google VirtualBox appears not to support nested visualization, so I accepted the error. But now I have came across this thread, I am wondering what configs are been used?

Thanks for any help, advice or guidance on this.

Hello yetanotheruser,

In general: I also have some proxmox as VM - but since proxmox is much better than vbox I use "proxmox in proxmox". In other words: My "main server" is a proxmox, and simply everything I need (workstations, servers, different OSes etc.) for my experiments are VMs in proxmox - finally also proxmox again :)

Hey,
On a quick Google VirtualBox appears not to support nested visualization, so I accepted the error.

I guess you mean (VT-x) virtualization ;) Correct , it is not (also not in standard proxmox up to now since it uses a kernel < 3) - however, for a trial it´s not necessary. But I recommend in that case to let run rather containers than VMs.

I am wondering what configs are been used?

In the past I used also VBOX - find attached an example

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Attachments

• proxmox.vbox.txt
    15.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply. This is all for 'trial' yes and not for performance or end use, just to get a taste.

I get that all the time with my spell-check, has a mind of its own, I meant nested Virtualization yes, I typed Virtualisation and been set to US English, it converted it to Visualization.

I think containers will be perfect for testing. I mainly want to test the GUI and Clustering and then I will grab two dedicated machines (to start) to test further with KVM and then roll some of our sites out.

Interesting about using Proxmox in the way you said, it was in my mind more for cloud style web servers than appliances, but that's my misconception and actually as you state, probably may be a great replacement for vSphere if you dont need the extras (including cost) it brings. I do have several MSSQL Servers virtualized, so it'd be interesting to see how they fair under Proxmox.

Anyway, thanks again for the config, off to give it a go now.

Hi,

Its becoming a theme now that others do - wondering what I am doing wrong? There are so few options, I am really unsure what could be wrong.

"command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 177"

Would be interesting to know what was at line 177 as I am not sure how to get to the command line after the error.

I cant find any pre-made boxes either.

Hi,

Madness I know - but I traced the issue down to the FQDN. In the end out of desperation I put in localhost.local - or visa versa - and it worked.

I use 'worked' very loosely as I was never able to login. Tried adding users via all methods but nothing would work and let me in. In the end I gave up and have stuck with OpenNebula.

Maybe one day I'll revisit as I'd love to use this software, many people I know rave but all drew a blank in helping me out.

Well, having instructions to ensure things work quickly in something such as virtualbox is just vital for the community on boarding new people. That's why I wrote that wiki article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi people, I have the similar problem.
I use ubuntu desktop (kernel: 3.16.0-77-generic). and installed virtualbox 4.3.38.
Installed Proxmox 4.3-1/. and I configure using the proxmox wiki.
I configure the resolv.conf using google dns (8.8.x.x) but I can not browse, or can not update using apt-get and then can not ping.
I set any network settings, such as NAT or some kind of routing?

here I leave some screenshots

Attachments

• snapshot5.png
    snapshot5.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 45
  • snapshot6.png
    snapshot6.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 39
  • snapshot7.png
    snapshot7.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi people, I have the similar problem.
I use ubuntu desktop (kernel: 3.16.0-77-generic). and installed virtualbox 4.3.38.
Installed Proxmox 4.3-1/. and I configure using the proxmox wiki.
I configure the resolv.conf using google dns (8.8.x.x) but I can not browse, or can not update using apt-get and then can not ping.
I set any network settings, such as NAT or some kind of routing?

here I leave some screenshots

I have resolv your problem? I have the same problem

Hi,
I had tried this once, single Proxmox inside my VirtualBox. VB is running on my Windows 7 x64 desktop.

Can you enable promiscuous mode for the network card in VirtualBox and try again?
Maybe, that can help with the networking ?!?
just a thought

Regards,
Shantanu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!