[SOLVED] bootloader installation error: embedding is not possible

ckx3009

Feb 18, 2014
Hello,

I have a problem when installing proxmox since the installation program hangs up at 100% saying that installation of the boot loader failed.
When I go to the console to see what happened, I see (everything is on the screenshot attached):

/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: this GPT partition label has no BIOS boot partition: embedding won't be possible
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.
unable to install boot loader.

The installation target disk is the /dev/sdb, a 250 GB SSD hard drive.
There are 8x2TB hard disks more, 4 of them in a preexistent software raid configuration.

The motherboard is an asrock c2750d4i with an intel avoton c2750.
The partition table was GPT on the installation target disk, but I wiped it using gdisk before the second installation try, to avoid possible troubles.

I will provide any needed additional information.
Thank you very much in advance for your help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
unplug all non-used disk and start the installation just with the 250 SSD disk.

after that, power of and re-plug the disk again.

Tom,

thank you for your answer, but that solution is not possible since I have no physical access to the machine.

Thank you for your help and best regards

Tom,

thank you for your answer, I'm going to install using the guide you provided.

I will post the results here.

Thank you again for your help and best regards

Hello,

the installation was successful using the "debian way".

Thank you for your help.
Best regards

Hi there,

searching the Internet to solve the described problem i found many tips and tricks but none with a clear solution. Doing it the "Debian Way" is IMHO the least elegant and only a last resort. Anyway, if you know the problem the installation can be done with the stock Proxmox ISO. The reason why the installation on a USB drive/ a USB stick fails is that the Proxmox installer wants to install the Bootloader into the MBR of the first HDD - e.g. /dev/sda. If this is not your USB drive, it will fail - refer to this posting from the Proxmox staff.

In my case, I wanted to install Proxmox from an USB drive [installation] to a 16Gb USB drive [destination]. I removed all HDDs as proposed earlier, but unfortunately the installation USB drive remained the first HDD (/dev/sda) and the destination USB drive the second HDD (/dev/sdb). There was no way to change this. That's why I installed Proxmox from CD (dev/sr0) and everything was fine.

Well there is still another solution. The Proxmox installation is complete except for the Bootloader. It's the same if you're experiencing a a broken bootloader/ MBR. You can boot with a Life-CD like SystemRescueCD or Knoppix and manually recreate your Grub Bootloader - in this case install it to your destination USB drive. [1] [2] [3]

Hi there,

searching the Internet to solve the described problem i found many tips and tricks but none with a clear solution. Doing it the "Debian Way" is IMHO the least elegant and only a last resort. Anyway, if you know the problem the installation can be done with the stock Proxmox ISO. The reason why the installation on a USB drive/ a USB stick fails is that the Proxmox installer wants to install the Bootloader into the MBR of the first HDD - e.g. /dev/sda. If this is not your USB drive, it will fail - refer to this posting from the Proxmox staff.

In my case, I wanted to install Proxmox from an USB drive [installation] to a 16Gb USB drive [destination]. I removed all HDDs as proposed earlier, but unfortunately the installation USB drive remained the first HDD (/dev/sda) and the destination USB drive the second HDD (/dev/sdb). There was no way to change this. That's why I installed Proxmox from CD (dev/sr0) and everything was fine.

Well there is still another solution. The Proxmox installation is complete except for the Bootloader. It's the same if you're experiencing a a broken bootloader/ MBR. You can boot with a Life-CD like SystemRescueCD or Knoppix and manually recreate your Grub Bootloader - in this case install it to your destination USB drive. [1] [2] [3]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!