8gb Ram and Swap. Noob question!

Somar

Feb 14, 2014
Hello, I'm a noob, so please excuse me if my questions seams to be stupid, but I've searched a lot before posting this thread, and I couldn't find any answer.

So here I am...

I have a production server running proxmox 3.1 for a wile now, with 2 win2008r2 vps, and 1 small linux. And everything is working fine, but I have a question, that I didn't find any answer by now:

My machine has 8 gb RAM, but Proxmox shows me:
RAM - Total: 3.82GB
SWAP - Total: 4.00GB

So my questions are:
1. Did proxmox split the 8gb RAM in 2 (RAM 4gb and SWAP 4gb)? Am I correct?
2. Now, my 2 win2008r2 vps have 2gb RAM allocated each, and I need to add another win2008r2 vps on this machine, and allocate 2gb RAM. I've looked to reduce the SWAP and increase the RAM, but I didn't find an answer. I mean from my 8GB RAM I want to split it like this 6GB goes to RAM and 2GB goes to SWAP. How can I do this?
Or is it fine, to let it like my above settings, and allocate 2gb ram to the new win2008r2, and proxmox will get the ram from SWAP? I've read that getting RAM from SWAP will reduce the speed of the VM.

Please HELP,

Thanks

Hey, thanks Marco. Can you please let me know about question 1 and 2, if I'm getting it right?

Basically using SWAP uses the hard-drive for memory buffer when you run out of RAM. Hard-drive speeds are much lower than RAM speeds.

If you are positive you have 8GB of RAM installed and Proxmox is only showing roughly 4GB, then Iḿ not sure if you might have installed PVE onto a 32-bit OS?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T met Tapatalk

Problem solved. Proxmox is running fine. One of my DDRAM DIMM slots didn't work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!