Missing pve-sheepdog apt repository package?

WvdW

Renowned Member
Apr 18, 2013
Hi,

Just completed a fresh 3.1 installation with an apt update. When I try and install the pve-sheepdog package for the sheepdog storage it comes up with a package not found error? The apt update and dist upgrade fetched other newer packages so I know its refreshing and working correctly. Is there a problem with the repository maybe?

Werner

Hi,

Just completed a fresh 3.1 installation with an apt update. When I try and install the pve-sheepdog package for the sheepdog storage it comes up with a package not found error? The apt update and dist upgrade fetched other newer packages so I know its refreshing and working correctly. Is there a problem with the repository maybe?

Werner

No problem in my installation!!
did you use pvetest repository?
with # apt-get install pve-sheepdog

it installs the 0.8.0-1 version.

Merci.

No changes were made to the out-of-the-box apt sources list, so its using all the default repositories. I think its suppose to be version 0.6.3-2 which is in the default repository.

/etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib

# security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list
deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-enterprise

As this is a production environment I am not too keen on using the test repository. How stable is it?

Werner

As a matter of interest I compared the apt sources list to another 3.1 (upgraded from 3.0) installation and there is a line missing in the fresh 3.1 install:

# PVE packages provided by proxmox.com
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve

This fixed my error and I could install pve-sheepdog. The question is however why this line was missing as its a brand new install and this obviously comes from the installation source which means that there is a bug there?

Werner

works here. please post the full output of 'apt-get install pve-sheepdog'

but please note, sheepdog is NOT intended for production use.

for testing, go for pvetest (with latest sheepdog 0.8).

full output of apt-get install pve-sheepdog (before updating the missing line in apt sources list):

apt-get install pve-sheepdog
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package pve-sheepdog

Tom what is the correct repository path for pvetest?

Werner

full output of apt-get install pve-sheepdog (before updating the missing line in apt sources list):

apt-get install pve-sheepdog
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package pve-sheepdog

works here:

Code:
root@proxmox-6-175:~# apt-get install pve-sheepdog
Building dependency tree
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  pve-sheepdog
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 221 kB of archives.
After this operation, 548 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 [URL]https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/[/URL] wheezy/pve-enterprise pve-sheepdog amd64 0.6.3-2 [221 kB]
Fetched 221 kB in 0s (417 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package pve-sheepdog.
(Reading database ... 38296 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pve-sheepdog (from .../pve-sheepdog_0.6.3-2_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up pve-sheepdog (0.6.3-2) ...
Starting Sheepdog Server : sheepdog.
root@proxmox-6-175:~#

Tom but look at the repository where it is being fetched from - its the enterprise repository. In a fresh installation without a subscription key this won't work and because the pve repository line has been omitted from the default installation's apt sources list, it fails. You will only get it working in such an environment if you happen to know that the pve repository line is missing. For new users/installers this won't be a known fact and they will miss out on some functionality.

Werner

Each Proxmox VE host needs access to valid proxmox ve update repository. Default, the enterprise repo is configured automatically for convenience of our subscribers and works as soon as you upload your subscription key via GUI.

If you do not want to use our enterprise services, you need to configure something else, as described here:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

Tom,

I think you are missing the point. Its got nothing to do with whether you want to, or do not want to, buy a subscription license. When you initially install a fresh proxmox server it doesn't automatically come with a subscription license activated. One would normally install and finish configuring the node completely before loading and activating the subscription license. As part of the initial (before subscription activation) steps you would normally want to configure all your storage to make sure everything is working as expected. If required repository lines are missing from the default installed apt sources list then you cannot finish with your storage configuration for sheepdog, and one would assume that you cannot use the sheepdog storage with proxmox (which is incorrect). The next step then is to start troubleshooting and hopefully you will quickly figure out that the culprit is the missing line in apt sources. Once you know this you can then use your repository wiki page to update apt sources and finish your storage configuration.

If the aim of proxmox is to make it as easy as possible for new users to start using the product and win over their loyalty in the process, then the above issue is definitely not the way to do so. Most new users will just make certain assumptions and then move on to the next product. Less subscriptions for you.

Fortunately we are long time users of your product as I think it is really excellent and was able to quickly figure out the problem. For new users this won't be the case. Someone at proxmox must make sure that they fix the short-coming in the default installed apt sources list for the next release and the whole problem will go away.

I do not want to be difficult but if you depend on the community to help you improve the product through bug reports then take it as help and not criticism.

Werner

there is nothing missing. after installation from ISO, you NEED to update to latest packages before you start with configuration. you should not configure everything and do the update afterwards. by you approach, you will probably run into bugs which are already fixed.

the installation/update process in short:

1. install from ISO
  2. upload key (or configure sources.list to get updates without key)
  3. apt-get update; apt- get dist-upgrade
  4. configure your host, join to cluster, etc.

the "pve" repository is just an old repo with 3.1 and will not get any further updates - so adding this is not wanted.

sheepdog is not production ready. see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_Sheepdog

afaik if you use 0.6x you data will be lost if you upgrade to 0.8 (pvetest).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!