Proxmox 3 - Encrypted directory

darksir

Feb 7, 2014
Hi boys, I am newbie with linux, so please sorry for some mistakes. I testing proxmox 3.1 on my small server. I found some solution how can I encrypt whole system - http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7569-How-To-Setup-disk-encryption-with-LUKS-Proxmox-2-0-Beta2 It´s fine, but I need encrypt only part of main disk - one directory. I want two encrypted HOSTS which will be saved on this encrypted directory. My idea is create small storage on main LVM, which will be mapped to /var/lib/vz_extra for example. After this I can add new PROXMOX DIR storage to my node, which will be set to this directory and which will be used by me for save of my encrypted machines. Is this possible? Can I simple made encrypted container on main filesystem, mount this after system startup to /var/lib/vz_extra and use this as encrypted storage for new VMs? Is this absolutely clean solution? I need stable system without any bugs and problems... I want unlock this LUKS "container" remotely by script before start "encrypted" virtual machines - my idea is key stored on another physical machine and accessed from startup script by LAN. (We need to protect data if the server was stolen) Many thanks, Petr

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!