Virt-Viewer 0.6.0

tlhenning2525

Renowned Member
Feb 1, 2014
The newly released Virt-Viewer 0.6.0 Does not appear to work with Proxmox on either a Linux or Windows Client.

The i386 package is totally broken, but the 64bit package works perfectly.

For me, both packages are working without problems (on a win7 desktop)

The newly released Virt-Viewer 0.6.0 Does not appear to work with Proxmox on either a Linux or Windows Client.

Another reason why we need a more open solution like novnc. If the console requires anything other than a web browser and is not OS dependent, its a bad design.

Another reason why we need a more open solution like novnc. If the console requires anything other than a web browser and is not OS dependent, its a bad design.

interesting, but I think not hot now, there are alternatives, and since pve is more server oriented and many other system component are still missing (see wiki roadmap)...
but:
- does novnc have multimonitor support?
- how comparable are performances (tested)?
- any licence issue?

Marco

interesting, but I think not hot now, there are alternatives, and since pve is more server oriented and many other system component are still missing (see wiki roadmap)...
but:
- does novnc have multimonitor support?
no, like the Java current solution
- how comparable are performances (tested)?
slower than java, but usable if you need to change some setup, fix something, etc, the "administration" tasks. Is not intended as a VDE solution
- any licence issue?
A Free one, even if not copyleft (nobody is perfect) MPL 2.0 (Mozilla Public License 2.0)

The issue we are raising is NOT to drop spice, is to change java nightmare with novnc. Novnc is currently used by many other Foss cloud or virtualization projects, is not a "jump in the dark". Don't know if can also be simply added as a 3° option (spice, javavnc and novnc), but java gave me a lot of problems so far that I'm very happy if we drop it asap.

The issue we are raising is NOT to drop spice, is to change java nightmare with novnc

I'd be interested in trialling that.

I tried out the 32 & 64 bit vs of Spice Client 0.60 today - no issues att all. Perhaps the 32 bit binary has been updated.

Why in the world would multi-monitor need to be supported? Java and Spice console sessions should really only be needed as system installation and troubleshooting and occasional system access. If you are using it as your full time interface for interacting with a system, you are definitely doing things wrong in my opinion.

I use OSX and Chrome OS. I have to use Firefox in order to use java (which I would prefer not to have java even installed) as it wont work with 32 bit browsers like Chrome and no proper working spice client out of the box either. Chrome OS (I have a Chromebook) has no java support and no spice client.

the reason why we do not choose novnc is simple. SPICE is better suited for the needs of the majority here.

of course, someone can focus on the minority of use cases and OS types, e.g. Chrome OS, but why?

Also, I would prefer the spice html5 client, because that way we only need to support one protocol (spice).

The reasoning is simple: provide both options, since spice requires in any case additional software installed (the spice viewer), while novnc is always available.
So we could use spice when it works, and novnc for any other situation, very very handy.
I think that having something that works in a very wide range of situation is paramount for a sysadmin, while having ALSO a higher performance solution (spice) is very good.

Also, I would prefer the spice html5 client, because that way we only need to support one protocol (spice).

Any update on when that HTML5 Viewer option will be included with Proxmox and able to be launched from the proxmox interface? Obviously not expecting a date, but is it being planned and/or actively worked on?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!