Storage Design

Fr0ggynator

Jan 31, 2014
Hello everyone,

i'm quite new to proxmox so please excuse my newbie questions - i'm sure many of them are quite simple to answer.

Scenario:
I have one physical host on which I want to virtualise an MS Server 2012 including MS Exchange. I have access to those programs via Dreamspark so no concerns here.

My physical device has 2 hard drives. A 1TB WD Red and a 2 TB WD Green. So far I wanted to put proxmox and the virtual machines (seperate VHD for OS and data) onto the WD Red and use the WD Green for "backup" only. I am aware of the concerns having a backup disk on the same location but for now this will be fine.

So far proxmox is installed on the WD Red and running fine. Now my questions arise adding the second disk:

1) What difference does it make whether I add the WD Green as a LVM or a Directory to proxmox?
2) If i use the WD Green as a LVM storage - is it reasonable to create a second "backup" PV or should i just add the disk to the proxmox default volume gorup?
3) As the server will be at home energy consumption does play a role. I wanted to performe a complete backup at night so the WD Green could spin down during daytime. I have a friend telling me that the LVM Manager keeps the disk from spinning down. Is this true?

Thank you very much for your help in advance :)

as you want the second disk for backups, you need a filesystem on it (no LVM).

so just create a partition on this disk (using fdisk or gdisk), format with mkfs.ext4 and mount in somewhere via /etc/fstab.

then go the proxmox ve admin gui and add this folder as "Directory" storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!