Proxmox VE Ceph Server released (beta)

Yes, atto with different block sizes (4K, 128K, 4M) would be great.
Iometer - nice to have ;-)

Regards,
Oer

I got a crystal diskmark result from a win7 VM running on our ceph clusters, hardware and network is described here (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server#Recommended_hardware) - all pools are using replication 3.

Code:
qm config 104
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 6
ide0: none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: windows7-spice
net0: virtio=0A:8B:AB:10:10:49,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
parent: demo
sockets: 1
vga: qxl2
virtio0: local:104/vm-104-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=writeback,size=32G
virtio1: ceph3:vm-104-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=32G

crystal-disk--win7-and-ceph3.png

some rados benchmarks on the same cluster (replication 3):

write speed

Code:
rados -p test3 bench 60 write --no-cleanup

2014-03-10 20:56:08.302342min lat: 0.037403 max lat: 4.61637 avg lat: 0.23234
   sec Cur ops   started  finished  avg MB/s  cur MB/s  last lat   avg lat
    60      16      4143      4127   275.094       412  0.141569   0.23234
 Total time run:         60.120882
Total writes made:      4144
Write size:             4194304
Bandwidth (MB/sec):     275.711

Stddev Bandwidth:       131.575
Max bandwidth (MB/sec): 416
Min bandwidth (MB/sec): 0
Average Latency:        0.232095
Stddev Latency:         0.378471
Max latency:            4.61637
Min latency:            0.037403

read speed

Code:
rados -p test3 bench 60 seq

Total time run:        13.370731
Total reads made:     4144
Read size:            4194304
Bandwidth (MB/sec):    1239.723

Average Latency:       0.0515508
Max latency:           0.673166
Min latency:           0.008432

Absolutely great things to read about Proxmox - my congrats to the Proxmox devs and contributors.

For my understanding (and others too?) who are not as familiar with Ceph as you guys:
I read that Ceph needs at least 2 copies for data safety but 2+ copies more for HA (says: http://ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/),
however the Proxmox wiki suggests 3 nodes as the minimum for Ceph.

Now I understand that Ceph, for production use wants > 2 copies, that's fair enough, I do see the point.
However: Can it be tested and configured with only 2 nodes?

I'd have 2 servers available for some testing, but not 3 - for production that would be possible though.

I ran 2 node CEPH cluster in a stressful production environment for last 10 months. No issues. Only recently i added 3rd node to increase performance and we are anticipating growth of our data. Even with 3 nodes you can still use 2 copies.

I would just like to point out that if you have more than 6 OSDs per node, it is a wise idea to put the journal on the OSDs themselves. As you increase your number of OSDs, putting journal on the same OSD reduces the risk of losing multiple OSDs together. This way you only have to worry about losing OSD and its journal only.

I got a crystal diskmark result from a win7 VM running on our ceph clusters, hardware and network is described here (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server#Recommended_hardware) - all pools are using replication 3.

Code:
qm config 104
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 6
ide0: none,media=cdrom
memory: 2048
name: windows7-spice
net0: virtio=0A:8B:AB:10:10:49,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
parent: demo
sockets: 1
vga: qxl2
virtio0: local:104/vm-104-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=writeback,size=32G
virtio1: ceph3:vm-104-disk-1,cache=writeback,size=32G

View attachment 1991

Hi Tom,

thank you for your performance tests.
One question. I think using VM's with writeback disk cache in production systems is not a good decision.
Please can you change to cache=none and post the CrystalDiskMark results again.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Oer

the crystal disk benchmarks are not so wow. specially the 4k reads/writes are really poor. i have more or less the same speed (4k) on servers with 2 sata disks (raid 1)
using replication of 2 performs better?

also i think using ssd for journal is a risk like mentioned above. it can get even worse when the ssds reach end of life cicle or have some other problems. as they are all the same model and have more or less the same data and read/writes because of replication it can happen that all of them will fail at the same time killing the whole cluster....

the crystal disk benchmarks are not so wow. specially the 4k reads/writes are really poor. i have more or less the same speed (4k) on servers with 2 sata disks (raid 1)
using replication of 2 performs better?

if you run the same benchmark in parallel - e.g. 100 guest you will see a the difference between ceph RBD and your sata raid1. if your goal is a very fast single VM, then ceph is not the winner. a fast hardware raid with a lot of cache, ssd only or ssd & sas hdd´s is a good choice here.

also i think using ssd for journal is a risk like mentioned above. it can get even worse when the ssds reach end of life cicle or have some other problems. as they are all the same model and have more or less the same data and read/writes because of replication it can happen that all of them will fail at the same time killing the whole cluster....

You need to be prepared for failing OSD and journal disks and you need design your ceph hardware according to your goals. If money is no concern, just use enterprise class SSDs for all your OSD. the really cool feature is that with ceph you have the freedom to choose your hardware according to your needs and you can always upgrade your hardware without downtime. replacing OSD, journal SSD disks, all this can be done via our new GUI (of course, someone needs to plug in the new disk in your servers before).

Hi Tom,

One question. I think using VM's with writeback disk cache in production systems is not a good decision.
Please can you change to cache=none and post the CrystalDiskMark results again.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Oer

Hi Tom,

can you please do this performance tests.
it would be very important to me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Oer

Hi Tom,

Why not? Writeback is the recommended setting for ceph rbd if you want good write performance.

Hi,

here's a test using rbd with "writeback":

2014-01-07 17_48_08-VM 100 ('vm-test-100')_rbd_writeback.png

and here the same config using "nocache":

2014-01-08 15_13_38-VM 100 ('vm-test-100')_rbd_nocache.png

ceph cluster of 3 nodes, using bonded 2GBit for OSD links, and bonded 2GBit for MONs, 4 OSDs per node, SATA disks.

Feature Request. Add support of disk partitions. Command pveceph createosd /dev/sd[X] can use only WHOLE disk but not disk partition like /dev/sdd4 Clean ceph installation support partitions.

How far is Proxmox for using OpenVZ on ceph?Either by ploop images or the file system part of ceph?Will either of above solutions be available any time soon?

nothing usable for now but yes, containers on distributed storage would be nice.

I just set up a a 3node proxmox cluster thats being virtualized by proxmox. While I can't run KVM VMs on this, I can test pve-ceph. I noticed the status on the webinterface saying HEALTH_WARN, not specifying details. I can only speculate, but maybe this display does not have all the possible circumstances covered yet?

Anyway, the reason for the health warn is clock skew, meaning the system time of the systems is too far apart (Ceph allows for .05s diffference per default). Since this is a virtualized cluster I have no problem blaming this issue solely on KVM, so this is not a bug report or anything.

I wanted to leave the following hint however:

in the [global] section of /etc/pve/ceph.conf you can add

Code:
 mon clock drift allowed = .3

to make the test cluster say HEALTH_OK. It may not be a good idea to do this on production clusters but then again, the ceph mailing list does say that setting this to .1 or even .2 should be okay. Additionally, specifying 1-3 local NTP servers in /etc/ntp.conf might help (it did not for me).

Funny sidenote: Even though this is a virtual testing cluster, "rados bench -p test 300 write" is STILL giving me rates that exceed a single physical disk! This setup is terribly bad for performance, but I am still getting good rates (for such a test anyways...). The pool has size=3, this Ceph has 1GBit networking and the virtual OSDs are stored on some fibrechannel SAN box.

Write bench is giving me 35MB/s throughput (between 3 ceph nodes, 2 OSDs each)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!