Network Issues - virtio vs e1000

marcusone

Renowned Member
Jan 24, 2014
Currently testing with Windows 2012 (so not sure how well the virtio drivers work on Win7 or others).

I downloaded and installed the latest virtio drivers as per the posts on proxmox wiki/sites. virtio-win-0.1-74.iso
All works... however, transfer speeds to the Windows 2012 machine are now 1/2 of what they were before.

I would get 40-50MB/s transferring files from my main work machine to the proxmox win 2012 machine using the e1000 setup.
Which is slow (to my other systems I get 70-90MB/s), so I thought I would try the virtio drivers.
Now I get 20-25MB/s :(

Are there tweeks I need to do on either proxmox or windows? Or just go back to the e1000 drivers?

Thanks,

I had to go back to the e1000. In my case under FreeBSD and years later, virtio does not function properly.
See proto://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=165059

Neither pfSense nor Kali Linux. VirtIO cost me weeks in debuggig webservers, analyzing tcp packets in deep and ping. Sadly the latter was the only thing I could get to work consistently using VirtIO. As soon as I switch to e1000 every service magicly works like a treat. VirtIO tends to parcially eat everything beond icmp.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!