Noob question...migration related.

rmarc

Jan 24, 2014
To start out, I'm completely unfamiliar with ProxMox. I got a heads up on it via a smartOS forum. I presently have a Ubuntu server running KVM's.
My server runs mail and and a guacamole server, then the VMs (windows*, smartos, linux; mostly for testing ideas). What I would like to do is migrate that to a Hypervisor configuration where the Hypervisor runs a mail VM, a guacamole VM and other VMs of my chosing.

That, I'm sure I could do quite easily based on what I've thus read. The issue is, I don't want to loose my data. I have a raid array with my mail and documents. I want to create a hypervisor, spawn a linux VM that mounts my raw data as /home. I know how to do this in smartOS. How would I do that in proxmox (preferably without a gui).

R. Marc

start reading in the wiki, if you have any DETAILED questions, come back here. your question is just to general.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!