Cannot boot Windows Server 2012 R2 --

rowebil

Jan 21, 2014
I have Proxmox installed 3.1-21

So I have put Ubuntu in a KVM VM and it worked fine and actually got done installing.

I tried a Windows ISO, and it cannot boot...

I have tried everything, from setting different hard drive bus, sizes, caching -- processors, etc. I even reuploaded my ISO to the server. I even shortened the name of the ISO.

I am not new to virtualization -- I have been a VMware user for many many years, to the point of my VCP5-DCV and knowing more than my professor with a cluster of 1.51TB of RAM (he manages servers across the country, and didn't know about add-hot CPU/RAM). I am a vSphere Administrator - I have 3 servers at home. One of them is now dedicated Proxmox. I just cannot get Windows to install at all. KVM works better than vSphere with HDD performance, so I'm hoping to use this rack server for my sandboxed Windows 8 environment (I do confidential things).

It says "Boot failed: could not read the boot disk" and then restarts. Windows flag starts, crashes again. Over and over and over again.

Last edited:
if the iso is ok and pve is latest, it's often matter of right cpu flags (see eg: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/16...ows-server-2012?highlight=Windows+Server+2012)

Marco
Wow I look stupid. I did search for about an hour and did not find anyone with my issue! Only someone who fixed it with caching. So sorry about that! Great response time -- dang. People did say you guys are quick as heck.

I figured it is RAM or CPU issues -- because the OS (Windows) isn't like the RAM (physical computers, if Windows crashes like this and it passes a Memtest+ but crashes Windows Memory diag, it's Windows being picky).

I'll see if it works for me.

You were right!

Wow I am so mad right now. My eyes were lingering on the HOST setting when doing the Ubuntu install and when trying different things with Windows, I was going to switch it but thought "I'm going to keep it as default because it probably performs better if it doesn't pass-through and then KVM can schedule CPU cycles." I always hate my negative thinking. It seriously out-performs me. If I would have just clicked my mouse. I was a click [literally, I had the sub-menu open and cursor over HOST] away from making it work. :/ I apologize for the new thread, but since Windows Server 2012 R2 is out, maybe someone will have the same issue and won't find the thread you linked to.

I had a post before this, but mods had to approve. I searched Google for about an hour but never found my issue. I did search, and never found that link. Hopefully this thread is able to help someone else out there.

It worked and worked fast!

Last edited:
Wow I look stupid. I did search for about an hour and did not find anyone with my issue! Only someone who fixed it with caching. So sorry about that! Great response time -- dang. People did say you guys are quick as heck.

I figured it is RAM or CPU issues -- because the OS (Windows) isn't like the RAM (physical computers, if Windows crashes like this and it passes a Memtest+ but crashes Windows Memory diag, it's Windows being picky).

I'll see if it works for me.
I have had the same issue, but changing the CPU type to qemu64 as in this post seems to work http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/16379-can-t-install-windows-server-2012?p=89722#post89722

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!