using Ubuntu Cloud-Images with Proxmox?

anuaimi

Jan 3, 2014
The current method I use to create VMs in Proxmox is very time consuming. I'd like to see if I can use Ubuntu's Cloud-Image to speed up the process of creating new VMs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Right now, I base my VMs on Ubuntu and KVM. First I upload the ubuntu ISO, run through an install using the GUI console and then convert that install into a template. When I create a new VM I need to boot the VM, ssh in and manually set the network for the VM. This is rather time consuming.

The Ubuntu cloud images are a preinstalled version of Ubuntu but without any network settings. But they support cloud-init (http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/) and this blog post (http://ubuntu-smoser.blogspot.ca/2013/02/using-ubuntu-cloud-images-without-cloud.html) shows how to base a VM on the Ubuntu Cloud-Image and then create a CD with genisoimage with the cloud-init settings for the VM. When the VMs boots, it will read the settings from the CD.

My plan is to create a VM with ProxMox and then replace the disk file with the Ubuntu cloud image. And then to replace the CD image with the ISO I created with the cloud-init settings.

Original conf file
virtio0: local:100/base-100-disk-1.raw,format=raw,size=40G
ide2: local:iso/ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64.iso,media=cdrom

Update file
virtio0: local:100/ubuntu-cloudimage.raw,format=raw,size=40G
ide2: local:iso/my-cloudinit-settings.iso,media=cdrom

Am I on the right track? Has anyone done this before?

Am I on the right track? Has anyone done this before?

I have the same idea to speed up the VMs deploy, mainly Ubuntu Cloud images.
I realize a proof-of-concept Python script to deploy cloud images on Proxmox KVM by use Proxmox API and by use cloud-init facility for initial configuration of the instance.
Code is at https://github.com/libersoft/proxmox-init .
You can use it as ispiration and example.
I'm using the Proxmox API by HTTP but them are also available via command line by pvesh.

Great stuff. I'll take a look.

I've been doing some work with ruby in this area using kvm directly.

I am basically trying to get some work done in this area too basically I want users who don't want to take time to setup a ISO to be able to point and click to setup a default KVM Ubuntu, Debian, or CentOS image with networking up and some default packages if you guys notice more work in this area please update this thread I will do the same.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!