Linux Mint in KVM Video problem

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,I'm running Proxmox 3.1 (all updates applied). I've installed LInux Mint Cinnamon but upon restarting the VM and viewing the VM from the console, I am presented with the following message:"Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage"I'm using the default option for video on Proxmox for the settings of this VM. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this? Do I need to install video drivers in my VM or can I make a change to the hardware from Proxmox that would fix this problem.Thank you.

No to mention that this "flavor" of mint you have choosen ist dependant on the current Ubuntu and you'll be running updates more often than you would like to. Even if you have a decent Video 3D card in a real machine it is likely to not work properly.

I recently fiddelt with it for hours on my sons machine. I uninstalled it and installed the mint version using Debian Testing, which is running stable without problems for a few weeks now.

Just my two cents.

Thanks very much for the replies. Good to know that it wasn't just me that had this problem. I'll download another flavour of Mint that isn't so video intensive.

Thanks.

No to mention that this "flavor" of mint you have choosen ist dependant on the current Ubuntu and you'll be running updates more often than you would like to. Even if you have a decent Video 3D card in a real machine it is likely to not work properly.

I recently fiddelt with it for hours on my sons machine. I uninstalled it and installed the mint version using Debian Testing, which is running stable without problems for a few weeks now.

Just my two cents.

i am reading on wikipedia 3d acceleration on KVM is supported (via AIGLX)
is right that ?
Has anything be changed since 2013?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!