Proxmox 802.3ad bond mode not working

check-ict

Apr 19, 2011
Hello,

I have 4 Proxmox 3.1 nodes running on 2 ZFS (on Linux) servers.

The ZFS on Linux servers have Debian 7 with latest kernel and updates. The ZFS servers have 4x1Gbit in a LAG LACP in 802.3ad bond mode. The 4 interfaces all work together, making a total of 4Gbit possible if the 4 nodes hit this server at the same time.

I also configured all 4 Proxmox 3.1 nodes with 2x1Gbit trunk (also 802.3ad bond mode). Somehow, incomming and outgoing traffic always goes to/from 1 interface. If I switch kernel on the proxmox node, I'm able to get better results.

What I want is that 2 data connections should be split on both network interfaces. So 2 copy commands from proxmox node 1 to ZFS01 and ZFS02 should open up 2 connections and make a total of 2Gbit, right? And even better, I would like to have 2 copy commands from proxmox node 1 to only ZFS01 also use 2 network interfaces, but I'm not sure if this is possible because it goes to the same destination. The LACP is running on Layer2 (default) and the switch is configured as Layer2 aswell.

Please let me now how I can improve the network IO on the Proxmox nodes. At this moment, 1 copy/stress/move/clone causes complete IO blackout for the node. Because of this problem, all running VM's on the proxmox node stop working.

Setup:
ZFS01 and ZFS02 4x1Gbit LACP/LAG 802.3ad mode layer2 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel
nodess 2x1Gbit 2x1Gbit LACP/LAG 802.3ad mode layer2 2.6.32-26-pve kernel

proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.1-114 (running kernel: 2.6.32-26-pve)
pve-manager: 3.1-21 (running version: 3.1-21/93bf03d4)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve: 2.6.32-114
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.0-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-8
qemu-server: 3.1-8
pve-firmware: 1.0-23
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-8
libpve-access-control: 3.0-7
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-17
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-2
vncterm: 1.1-4
vzctl: 4.0-1pve4
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-17
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.4.1-1

You have misunderstood 802.3ad. 802.3ad permits multiple instances to use different connections to the same host but a single instance can never use more than one connection. Eg. if af server has a 802.3ad consisting of two nics and if two clients connects to this server they will send packages to different links allowing the total bandwidth to each client to be 1 Gbps and the total bandwidth to the server at any giving time to be 2 Gbps. In your case with four nics this means that the storage can serve 4 1 Gbps connections simultaneously which will amount to a total incoming/outgoing bandwidth at any giving time to 4 Gbps.

I know this, but my proxmox node should also be capable of hitting 2x1Gbit if 2 other servers connect to it. So node 3 and node 2 have a connection open to node 1, then node 1 should see 2Gbit/2ports active (just like the fileserver with 4 ports). However, this Proxmox nodes do not work if multipe clients connect to it.

Everything works with balance-alb btw, but I'm not sure if this is a good solutions. How stable is balance-alb? Because this seems to work out of the box and doesn't need LAG groups on the switch. Also, balance-alb uses multiple ports for sending/receiving from/to different hosts (like I would expect 802.3ad to do aswell).

For this to work in an environment with virtual nics and bridges you must use layer3+4 for xmit_hash_policy.

Last edited:
I've changed the xmit_hash_policy to layer2+3 and layer3+4 (also on switch) but I don't get better results.

For now it just acts like a "active-backup", all the time only 1 interface is used. Only when I unplug the cable it will switch to the other interface.

Please advise.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!