Configuring my first Proxmox

nikko

Nov 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to this field and want to install a new Proxmox. I must say it is great. I have already installed Proxmox and two virtual Machines. The Hypervizor is inside a company networt. It will have a few machines on it(tree virtual servers and a virtuell client pc, all of them running with Windows). The Servers schould communicate to each other, but stay unseen to my company Network. For this purpose I created vmbr1 from the Web Interface and gave it an internal IP like 172.10.10.1 this. Then I would like to give my Virtual Machines an internal IP like 172.10.10.99 and Default Gateway 172.10.10.1, same as vmbr1. I am not exactly sure how to make this. This is what /etc/network/Interfaces looks like this:

Code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  XX.XX.XX.xx  #external IP 
    netmask  255.255.0.0
    gateway  XX.XX.XX.XX
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address  172.25.25.1
    netmask  255.255.0.0
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

How could I connect my VMs to vmbr1 instead of vmr0? How could I connect vmbr1 to vmbr0 in order to communicate in the internal Network. I will try to make same basci Diagram in order be clear what I mean. Thanks in advance!

Hi,
in your case you need an router for your client-network which do also NAT to your company-network. You can do this with an VM (, which is connected to booth networks (vmbr0 + vmbr1) but you need one company-IP for this.
Or you do this on the proxmox-host with iptable-rules (I preferr the router-VM).

For the VMs - simply use vmbr1 for the nic. You can test your config with tcpdump on the host (like "tcpdump -i vmbr1 host IP.OF.ONE.VM").

Udo

I thought with iptables would be easier. I got vmbr1 to be the connection port of my VM from the UI. tcpdump did not do the job, or at least I couldn't get the idea. I am a total newbie on administration and Debian, please excuse my stupid question. Here is the diagram that as I promised. I do not know if I got the idea right.
This is the Link to the pdf diagram http://de.scribd.com/doc/185212999/Netz-Werk-Be-i-Spiel-New

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!