What do i have to use to get hdd pass through working (sata, scsi, ide or virtio)

mcflym

Renowned Member
Jul 10, 2013
Hi there,

i have a openmediavault installation as a vm in proxmox. The HDDs are added like that in the vm.conf:

virtio1: /dev/sdc,backup=no
virtio2: /dev/sdd,backup=no
virtio3: /dev/sdf,backup=no
virtio4: /dev/sde,backup=no
virtio5: /dev/sdh,backup=no
virtio6: /dev/sdi,backup=no

The data transfer speed is quite fast (around 110 MB/s) but i have no chance to get the energy saving or SMART functions working in omv, cause it only shows the HDDs without the real information of the HDD.

Can i use Proxmox itself to get my HDD into energy saving mode or is there no access from proxmox to these HDD (cause they are attached to the vm)?

Some months ago i had attached the HDD via scsi and as i remember i could use the power saving and SMART function in omv (if i remember correctly the speed was around 50 MB/s). But now i dont really change my configuration by try and error, so i ask the following question in advance:

What is the best solution (speed and functionality) to pass through the HDDs to my omv vm?

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm,

now i tried sata and scsi via qm set 100 -scsix/satax but there where no correct pass through to the vm. What i mean is, that the HDDs were recognized as "Qemu Harddisk". It works too but i am absolutely sure that i had a "real" pass through (with SMART Data and correct SerialNo of the HDD etc. in the VM) in the past.

Is there a change in the Proxmox pass through "system"? Or what`s my fault.

Thanks

Last edited:
Next Step/Try:

I now use Proxmox itself via hdparm (hdparm -S 120 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-xxxxxxxx for 10 minutes spind down time) to spin down my VM attached HDDs. It works very well and i get my power consumption from around 60 Watt to nearly 35 Watt (6 HDDs connected). Great!

Well,

i have a Celeron G1610 CPU in my proxmox and it doesn't support VT-D.

BUT:

HDD1.jpg

As you can see on the picture (openmediavault as a vm) it worked some months ago. The "only difference" between now and the past is the motherboard: Past: P8H77-V LE Now: ASRock B75 Pro3-M

But maybe it was not a real pass through?

Thanks for your reply!

Your board supports vt-d, but the processor doesn't. But I don't think sata passthrough needs vt-d at all, it's not PCI/PCI-e redirection. How did you configure your previous system when you were able to "see" the "real" HDDs?

I thought it was with scsi because of the ide-limitations (only 4 devices). I don't really know what is the matter now... i will test it with other options (if there are) the next days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!