Reinstalled Windows 7 can no longer access SPICE VM

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
I have a windows 7 pro 32 bit which i used to access spice VMs fort last several weeks. Never had any issue. Due to a recent HDD crash i had to reinstall windows 7 pro 32 bit on the same computer and now i can no longer access spice vm. It gives me Unable to connect to graphixs error. I have 2 other ubuntu local desktop in which spice still works perfectly. Checked time. Same on all nodes and desktops. Opened all necessary firewall port on windows but no result.
Any idea?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

I installed the Virt-Viewer 0.5.7

so this one:
http://virt-manager.org/download/sources/virt-viewer/virt-viewer-x86-0.5.7.msi
the x86, and not the x64, i guess.

let's collect more info in order to get the most useful help...

what is pveversion -v output?
do you access it through the "spice" button in pve => web browser => spice client?
(saved *.vv files wont' work, since the "session window" is short)
do you get any text error in the spice client?
do you get any text error in the windows events?

Marco

Yes, SPICE client version installed is x86 0.5.7 for 32 bit.

root@symmvm01:~# pveversion -v
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.1-114 (running kernel: 2.6.32-26-pve)
pve-manager: 3.1-24 (running version: 3.1-24/060bd5a6)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-20-pve: 2.6.32-100
pve-kernel-2.6.32-24-pve: 2.6.32-111
pve-kernel-2.6.32-25-pve: 2.6.32-113
pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve: 2.6.32-114
pve-kernel-2.6.32-23-pve: 2.6.32-109
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.0-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-8
qemu-server: 3.1-8
pve-firmware: 1.0-23
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-9
libpve-access-control: 3.0-8
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-18
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-2
vncterm: 1.1-6
vzctl: 4.0-1pve4
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-17
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.4.1-1
root@symmvm01:~#

I access VM through Proxmox GUI SPICE button.

All SPICE VM works from everywhere, local or remote. Except this new reinstalled Windows 7 pc. I can access the same VM from Linux machine on same LAN through SPICE. I can even open the same VM from Windows 7 and Windows XP machine from remote location through SPICE. This particular pc worked just fine before i reinstalled. This leads me to believe something in the Windows preventing me from opening SPICE VM. Just not sure what. Windows is not creating any Event log.

mmm. we have same pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-2

other package differ but slightly.

try
telnet SPICED_PVE_IP_ADDRESS 3128
from windows terminal

do you get an error? or a black screen and if you type any char and then enter it closes with

HTTP/1.0 400 bad request
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Connection: close
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:54:22 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Server: pve-api-daemon/3.0
Expires: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:54:22 GMT

?

Marco

mmm. we have same pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-2

other package differ but slightly.

try
telnet SPICED_PVE_IP_ADDRESS 3128
from windows terminal

do you get an error? or a black screen and if you type any char and then enter it closes with

HTTP/1.0 400 bad request
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Connection: close
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:54:22 GMT
Pragma: no-cache
Server: pve-api-daemon/3.0
Expires: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:54:22 GMT

?

Marco
Running telnet gives a black screen. If i type a char then enter it does closes with the HTTP bad request error you mentioned above. As per the thread you suggested i also changed host name to all lower caps. Still nothing.

Running telnet gives a black screen. If i type a char then enter it does closes with the HTTP bad request error you mentioned above.

ok at least we're sure you're not blocked by the network: the connection is going on...

but I have no clues...

if you can access the same vm from another client, it must be sometging on the client side...
so, until someone jump in here, you could try something here: http://www.spice-space.org/support.html

Marco

My Issue is SPICE client works on all computer, local or remote except one windows 7 pro in local LAN. It worked in this computer before i reinstalled Windows 7. I pretty much ran out of option of things to try.

I've noticed that on Windows 7 systems that are not fully up to date with Windows Updates work with the VirtViewer. So maybe a somewhat recent update broke this.

mmm mine (7x64) is constantly updated... and still works... did you try to reinstall the client after updates? maybe it triggers something (fw rulles, or else) that could be reset by updates by mistake...?

Marco

After upgrading proxmox to version 3.1 (single node) from one specific client machine with win7 x64 I get "unable to connect to the graphic server" each time I try to connect with spice remote viewer.There is not firewall between client -> proxmox (I can telnet on port 3128).
I put the following lines to a test vm:
args: -spice port=12345,password=ANYTHING -device virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent
This way I can connect successfully with remote viewer.
Could I be an issue with certificates on this particular machine? Any suggestion please?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!