Proxmox 3.1: Are the NICs Intel i217LM and i210-AT supported by now (Intel Haswell)?

computernerd

Nov 6, 2013
Hello all,

does anybody have experience with Proxmox 3.1 and the new "Haswell"-generation onboard NICs i217LM and i210-AT from Intel?

I know that they where NOT supported by Proxmox < 3.1 (http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15...-not-accessible-possible-network-config-issue) so the question is if the update to 3.1. brought any significant kernel changes with it, so that those NICs are fully supported by now. Does anybody know or even have experience on that?

Thank you
computernerd

Re: Proxmox 3.1: Are the NICs Intel i217LM and i210-AT supported by now (Intel Haswel

IMHO. For full and hassle free operation go for Sandy Bridge based motherboards.

Re: Proxmox 3.1: Are the NICs Intel i217LM and i210-AT supported by now (Intel Haswel

IMHO. For full and hassle free operation go for Sandy Bridge based motherboards.

Thank you for your advice. After have done some days of researching, I think that your advice is the most wise thing to do, finally.

Thank you & regards
computernerd

As a side note I can also tell you that on my job 6 month ago we bought a new 16 nodes VmWare cluster. All nodes are HP D7 4x8 core based Xeons on a Sandy Bridge based MB since VmWare does not support Haswell or newer chipsets either.

I bought (its still in the USA and i have to wait 2 more weeks :()the incredible new C2750D4i Asrock Motherboard (with new ATOM-CPU). This Board has i210 Gigabit Ethernet too... Will it work without issues?

Link: http://www.asrock.com/server/overview.asp?Model=C2750D4I

Thanks!

mcflym,

I have the same motherboard and I can confirm that it is running well on proxmox, *but* it is not directly supported on debian, so, if you need (as I did) to install proxmox from a fresh debian installation, then you will probably perform the installation itself without any network support, since the debian DVD does not recognize the network cards.

Also, proxmox, just at the firsts lines of the boot process, says that the processor is unsupported. Perhaps it is not supported, but it runs very well.

regards
ckx3009

Hi ckx3009,

thanks for your reply!

I got the new MB today and i just replaced it with my old one.... Well, proxmox is booting without any problems (except CPU is not supported, but it doesn't matter).

My problem now is that my NIC is blinking (green permanent, orange blinking) but i can't get a connection (ping etc., ping to server-IP from the server itself is working!) to the server from other clients. The server is not connected... dhcp doesn't work as well (he doesn't find a lease).

If there are no working drivers the NIC should not show any action, right? So i don't think it is an driver issue. But whats the problem then?

Thanks!

Last edited:

mcflym,

Perhaps you are lucky: I'm a "network guy" :) (well, a lot more "network" than "linux server")
You see that on that motherboard you have 3 NICs: the single one is for the server management, ILO, java console and so on. So you should use the other 2 NICs to connect the server to the network.
I had a problem related to the static IP, since proxmox wanted the static IP but I want my IPs to be distributed by DHCP with reservations.
I simply configured the network interface to ask for a dhcp address, then i configured the static entry on my router.

As you say, the NIC would be off if the drivers are not ok, so don't worry about that.
Just check that your "/etc/network/interfaces " shows something like

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp  
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

regards
ckx3009

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply!

I configured my network card on the old board manually and it worked without problems. I have to following config (i wanna use only eth0 for the first):

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.2.200
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

#auto vmbr1
#iface vmbr1 inet static
#address 192.168.2.201
#netmask 255.255.255.0
#gateway 192.168.2.1
#bridge_ports eth1
#bridge_stp off
#bridge_fd 0

IPMI works very well (connected via browser without issues).

thanks!

Edit:

Well, i found something strange.... I am plugged in the NIC and i can still reach the IPMI via Webinterface?

Last edited:

mcflym,

I suppose that in your network configuration you are missing

Code:
iface eth0 inet manual
which should be the command given to the interface in order to be shown and activated.
try to add it before the "auto vmbr0"

regards
ckx3009

I tried, but same problem.

Is the IPMI NIC linked to eth0? Because on the Webinterface of the IPMI it shows me the IP of the IPMI Interface for eth0 which i configured in the BIOS. Maybe this is the problem?

As i wrote before... the IPMI Interface is reachable, even if i only connected to the LAN Port 1.

regards

Edit:

Ok... under "Server Mgmt" in the BIOS you can set BMC network configuration for LAN channel 1 and LAN channel 2. I thought the IPMI is a seperate LAN Interface?

Edit2:

Strange things are going on... I set the BMC settings back to "unspecified"... Now i can't reach the IPMI Interface, but i can see that the IPMI Interface now has his own IP-Address(192.168.2.111) - but the webinterface isn't reachable... and no ping is possible... LEDs of the ipmi are blinking...

Edit3:
Hm... now the IPMI is reachable via IP Address of LAN2 which i set in the BMC (but afterwards set to unspecified - so it seems that he doesn't clear the settings?!)

Soooooooo...
I can now reach the IPs 192.168.2.111 AND 192.168.2.201 even i only connected ONE cable to the IPMI! But i only can reach the IPMI webinterface via 192.168.2.201...

What the f****?

So i can only use the IPMI together with one of the LAN-Ports and not for itself? So why do i need a seperate Interface? Maybe its just a setting in the BIOS to fix this problem?

Last edited:

mcflym,

The IPMI should be only linked to its own interface, but I noticed that from the server itself it is always reachable, even without any network cable plugged in.

Are you using the default proxmox iso installation?
In this case, it is very likely not a problem related to the software on your server, but probably it is the router which is causing the troubles.

regards
ckx3009

I dont think it's the router.

I now plugged two cables in:
one in IPMI
one in LAN1

Now i have 3(!) reachable IPs via Ping and over two IPs i can reach the webinterface of the IPMI...

What is going on here? I can't get it.

It looks like that the board uses the LAN-Ports only for his IPMI. What Settings do you have at the BMC?

Do you use network bonding? I disabled this feature... but it still shows bond at this point:
1ao0.jpg

But why do he need this? Why i have to allocate it to a LAN-Interface?

I give up for now... it doens't make any sense to me...

Last edited:

mcflym,

What is shown in the screenshot is a correct behavior.
that is because in CONFIGURATION -> NETWORK the interface bond0 is what is shown.

in CONFIGURATION -> NETWORK BOND you can enable or disable the bonding. If you don't need it, then disable it.

regards
ckx3009

i enabled and disabled it again...

Now there is no "bond0" anymore, now it shows "both". But nothing changes

It seems that the BMC settings are the master and i don't have a chance to change it via proxmox/debian.

Last edited:

mcflym,

it is correct, the master is the motherboard, but it should be a master only for the management interface.
The other 2 NICs should be freely configurable.

if you issue the command "ifconfig" in proxmox, can you see the interface eth0?
and on the interface vmbr0 (I suppose you can see it), is there the ip address you gave it?

regards
ckx3009

Hi,

here is the screen:
9vjz.jpg

So there is no eth0 :/

Attachments

• 9vjz.jpg
    9vjz.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 10

mcflym,

you found the problem: the eth0 is the physical interface needed to communicate with the rest of the network.

please copy the /etc/network/interfaces that I posted you before and write it in your file.
then /etc/init.d/networking restart
you now *should* see the interfaces eth0 and eth1.

regards
ckx3009

edit: to your last reply:

this is strange, because there should not be any persistent net rule on a fresh installation: it is created during the installation itself and should not give any kind of problem.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!