Proxmox VE 3.x - Updates

Lido

Mar 22, 2011
How can I know when:

"Before you update your system, you should stop all your running VM´s." as explained in your wiki

and when update without stop all running VM's.

e.g. today (26/10/2013) if I run Refresh command in Updates tab it finds libpve-common-perl (from 3.0-7 to 3.0-8) and pve-manager (from 3.1-20 to 3.1-21) and I don't know if I can run Upgrade command without stop all running VM's, as I think, or if I must stop them necessarily.

I think Proxmox VE is a great hypervisor but it needs necessary a better documentation, regularly organized.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks,

but how can users know when it is necessary? In your mail, infact, you said me "for that update". What is the general rule?

Can a user help you to write a better documentation?

Best regards
Lido

Thanks,

but how can users know when it is necessary? In your mail, infact, you said me "for that update". What is the general rule?

Can a user help you to write a better documentation?

Best regards
Lido

I think the documentation should cover the worst case scenario, and direct users to do the safest thing to ensure things go smoothly, even if it means some down time.

Feel free to open up an account on the wiki and start contributing. :)

Hi,

I am running Proxmox 3.1 with a paid subscription. I see there are a number of packages that need updated on my cluster but I like the original poster of this thread I am unsure if I need to shutdown the VM's prior to upgrading or not.

What packages require a VM to be shutdown?

Best regards,
Eric

as far as Im aware, only a kernel upgrade REQUIRES a VM reboot, since the whole node needs to be restarted to load the new kernel.

Upgrades to kvm and qemu-server do not require a VM reboot, but you will not get access to the new features until you completely stop and start the VMs. This is assuming that the update to said packages actually contain new features. The same goes for openvz and restarting the containers obviously

This is coming from a user's perspective. A developer should be able to give more insight into this

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!