VM is locked after offline migration

E

eg1l

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Sep 16 10:18:46 starting migration of VM 105 to node 'something' (10.0.2.11)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Sep 16 10:18:46 copying disk images[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Sep 16 10:18:46 Waiting for spice server migration[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Sep 16 10:18:46 ERROR: VM 105 not running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Sep 16 10:18:46 ERROR: migration finished with problems (duration 00:00:00)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]TASK ERROR: migration problems
[/FONT][/COLOR]

This was a offline migrate, and the VM is now locked (it has appeared on the new host). How do I unlock it?

Update: after some searching I used 'qm unlock 105' on the new host. It unlocked the vm.
I would be very pleased tho know the reason for it being locked in the first place.

Keep getng locked VMs, is this the cause?
Code:
[B][COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]Waiting for spice server migration[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

I can confirm that the issue is not isolated in your setup. Some of my VMs also gives error at the end of migration even though the migration seems 100% success. Only way to use those migrated VMs is the command you have mentioned above "qm unlock vmid". I do not move around lot of VM and do not use HA, so the issue is not mission critical for my setup. But i did notice the issue started after SPICE introduction. The strange thing is the issue is not consistent. Sometimes same VM will reproduce the error sometimes it will not after migration. In my case the issue happens during both Online and Offline Migration between nodes. The issue never happens for non SPICE VMs.

I will look around for a solution but anybody got any idea why it happens and how to prevent it?

I noticed that too yesterday, vm migrates but stays locked. Spice seems involved. Need to unlock manually.

Christophe.

I noticed that too yesterday, vm migrates but stays locked. Spice seems involved. Need to unlock manually.

Christophe.

Hi, the "waiting spice migration" is from seamless (tranparent) spice client migration. (you don't have any disconnection on the client).

Do you have a spice session open when you do the live migrate ? if yes, which version of virt-viewer ?

is "Waiting for spice server migration" the last message ?

because it should wait maximum 10sec (50*200ms)

QemuMigrate.pm:
Code:
   my $timer = 0;
    if (PVE::QemuServer::vga_conf_has_spice($conf->{vga})) {
        $self->log('info', "Waiting for spice server migration");
        while (1) {
            my $res = PVE::QemuServer::vm_mon_cmd_nocheck($vmid, 'query-spice');
            last if int($res->{'migrated'}) == 1;
            last if $timer > 50;
            $timer ++;
            usleep(200000);
        }
    }

Yes it is, followed by 2 errors lines and TASK ERROR : migration problem.

More than 10 seconds after.

Christophe.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!