SPICE VM Remotely

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
First of all, another great addition to already superb Proxmox! Great work Proxmox team!

I tested it locally, works great. So far nothing crashed.

But i am having accesing my VMs remotely though. I opened port 3128 but i keep getting unable to connect to graphics driver on my remote pc. Can i not access VMs remotely? The old console works remotely though.
Thanks!

First of all, another great addition to already superb Proxmox! Great work Proxmox team!

I tested it locally, works great. So far nothing crashed.

But i am having accesing my VMs remotely though. I opened port 3128 but i keep getting unable to connect to graphics driver on my remote pc. Can i not access VMs remotely? The old console works remotely though.
Thanks!

I think you also need port 61000 for TLs to be open. At least it looks that way from the file that is downoaded to your browser.

I think you also need port 61000 for TLs to be open. At least it looks that way from the file that is downoaded to your browser.

That was my thought and i already tried opening 61000 port. Did not work. And it looks like Dietmar confirmed it is not needed.

Port 3128 is wide open. Anything else i can do to remote Spice to work?

SPICE via ssh tunnel:

I was trying that and it does work. its not especially quick and easy just yet, but this how its working for me:

youre going to have an ssh tunnel running already to be able to reach the proxmox webinterface. regardless of how you did that, that ssh client needs another parameter / port forward: you need to tell it to forward any local port of your choice to [PROXMOXIP]:3128. for linux ssh this would be -L12345:[PROXMOXIP]:3128.
then you download the spiceproxy file you get from clicking spice in proxmox. open it with vim or whatever and change the proxy line from [PROXMOXIP]:3128 to 127.0.0.1:12345 (assuming thats the port you used)
finally you can now pass the spiceproxy file to virtviewer.

this whole thing is really kinda bulky and I very much feel like there should be an option to open a permanently available spice port for every VM using spice so that you dont actually need the 3128 proxy, nor any specific login token. the necessary qemu command line parameter would look like this: -spice port=<port>,disable-ticketing,password=<secret>

It worked It worked!!

I did not try any of the SSH Tunneling suggested above. Before i went that route i wanted to double check that both side of the Firewall configurations are ok. It turns out i missed an option on server side of Firewall. But thanks to this post i got to know SSH Tunneling little better. Will come handy in future. I just tried 7 of the VMs with SPICE enabled. All works remotely now.
Thanks all for your suggestions!

If you tunnel all ports (whichout changing port numbers) there should be no need to change anything (L 8006, 3128 ==> R 8006, 3128)

ha, I hadnt considered that because I had been using -D and use that as a socks proxy then. your suggestion works a lot better I will admit

Also I get the impression that having spice wrapped into 2 ssh tunnels (tunnel in tunnel) isnt exactly performance enhancing, which is not surprising tho.

Last edited:
I am able to connect to spice, but there is a ticket and we cannot have people login every time to proxmox console.

can we not run the remote-viewer.exe .... parameters (not the vv file) and have the connection. - the port 3128 is open.
how do i have this working... can somebody share the syntax for the command line parameters

Basically this does not work from some windows 10 machines, but works from some windows 7 machines, so its not a firewall issue at the proxmox end else how would it open from some clients. also we have disabled the client firewall but still no luck... with the proxmoxspicelauncher made by one of the members it works from some and not from some... very strange behaviour.. any ideas friends

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!