SPICE for Proxmox VE (pvetest)

works here. using win7-64 and latest stable Firefox.

I use ubuntu-saucy, i installed fedora-19 it work's but I could not install debian-7.1, I have a blue screen in the middle installation.
thank's.

I get exactly the same thing ..on IE and firefox. All machines on local LAN.
Also noticed in the .vv file host-subject is missing a "U" on the second OU. adding this and the file correctly deletes now. still getting the error message though.
viewer.pngvv_file.png

Last edited:
Sorry. but while hunting around looking into this I broke the server. So have re-installed from scratch and done a full update from fresh and it all appears to be working fine now. Was a little too keen to have a play around with the new spice viewer :)

Hi Guys, if you have problem to connect, you can have debug info with:

Click on spice button, the browser will download a spiceproxy file,
then

"remote-viewer spiceproxy --debug"

(you need to launch it in the 30s after the spiceproxy file download, because of the ticket expiration)

Sorry if I ask, but would like to understand properly, because OMHO Spice is most useful as a way of using the guest like "rdp on sterodis" than just inside proxmox as "console" display (expecially now that the iced-tea bug has been resolved and I can access it with Free OpenJDK!).
Is there no way at the moment to set the VM to use Spice and access it besides Proxmox web interface? I would love to have (also) a direct access to the guest, so I can fire up the spice client from my workstation and connect with it, like I would do with rdp (in my case, using KRDC).
Being able to run something like:
$ remote-viewer spiceproxy --vmid 150 --clustermulticastip/nodeip 192.168.1.10
or even better something like
$ spiceviewer --vmip 192.168.1.182
Thanks a lot :)

Sorry if I ask, but would like to understand properly, because OMHO Spice is most useful as a way of using the guest like "rdp on sterodis" than just inside proxmox as "console" display (expecially now that the iced-tea bug has been resolved and I can access it with Free OpenJDK!).
Is there no way at the moment to set the VM to use Spice and access it besides Proxmox web interface? I would love to have (also) a direct access to the guest, so I can fire up the spice client from my workstation and connect with it, like I would do with rdp (in my case, using KRDC).

It's not so easy, because we generate a temporary ticket for spiceproxy and for spice server.
But I think it could be possible to do a script which call the proxmox api, generate the ticket, and pass it to remote-viewer.

Yep - that's what I would love to do as well. Does anyone happen to know of any thin client's that support the spice protocol?

Yep - that's what I would love to do as well. Does anyone happen to know of any thin client's that support the spice protocol?

Do you mean hardware thin client ? I think that redhat was working with Wyse last year to implement spice.

They are also this raspberry thin client project which seem to support spice:
http://rpitc.blogspot.fr/

since thin clients run linux, I dont see why spice wouldnt work on them? obviously they need some at least semi-reasonable rendering performance. spice was actually made with thin clients in mind

I get exactly the same thing ..on IE and firefox. All machines on local LAN.
Also noticed in the .vv file host-subject is missing a "U" on the second OU. adding this and the file correctly deletes now. still getting the error message though.
View attachment 1571View attachment 1572

The missing U, is not a problem. (It's take from proxmox certificate)

I don't have try under windows, but maybe can you try to launch from command line:
"remote-viewer.exe spiceproxyfile --debug""

since thin clients run linux, I dont see why spice wouldnt work on them? obviously they need some at least semi-reasonable rendering performance. spice was actually made with thin clients in mind

You would think so, yes. I can't find any Spice support on the Dell-Wyse site, but it's a bit academic until there is an option to be able to connect to a vm without having to go through the web interface.

You would think so, yes. I can't find any Spice support on the Dell-Wyse site, but it's a bit academic until there is an option to be able to connect to a vm without having to go through the web interface.
Note that you can enable spice with

args: -vga qxl -spice port=xxxx,addr=X.X.X.X,password=xxxx -device virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent -device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0

Then you should be able to connect directly without need to use proxmox spiceproxy and ticket management.

you can use this bash script

Code:
#!/bin/bash

USERNAME=root@pam
PASSWORD=yourpassword
VMID=198
NODE=proxmoxhost1
PROXY=proxmoxhost1.test.com

TICKET=`curl -k -d "username=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD"  https://$PROXY:8006/api2/json/access/ticket | sed 's/\\\\\//\//g' | sed 's/[{}]//g' | awk -v k="text" '{n=split($0,a,","); for (i=1; i<=n; i++) print a[i]}' | sed 's/\"\:\"/\|/g' | sed 's/[\,]/ /g' | sed 's/\"// g' | grep -w ticket |  awk -F "|" '{print $2}'`
echo $TICKET
curl -k -b "PVEAuthCookie=$TICKET" https://$PROXY:8006/api2/spiceconfig/nodes/$NODE/qemu/$VMID/spiceproxy?proxy=$PROXY > spiceproxy
remote-viewer spiceproxy

Note that you can enable spice with

args: -vga qxl -spice port=xxxx,addr=X.X.X.X,password=xxxx -device virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent -device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0

Then you should be able to connect directly without need to use proxmox spiceproxy and ticket management.

Well, that works perfectly! The only catches are:
1) You cannot use the SPICE video driver in the vm - it refuses to start if you do.
2) As you are not using the SPICE driver, there is no Spice button on the web interface.
It seems that there is no way to put the password on the command line from remote-viewer.exe, which would be a prerequisite for an auto logon thin client. However with a bit of Googling, I discovered that you can remove the need for a password by replacing "password=xxx" with "disable-ticketing". Hey presto - no password required. Not perfect, but for local installations OK. Also, you do not need to explicitly supply the address. remove "addr=" it will listen on all interfaces. You do need to supply the port, though.

Looking good!

you can use this bash script

Code:
#!/bin/bash

USERNAME=root@pam
PASSWORD=yourpassword
VMID=198
NODE=proxmoxhost1
PROXY=proxmoxhost1.test.com

TICKET=`curl -k -d "username=$USERNAME&password=$PASSWORD"  https://$PROXY:8006/api2/json/access/ticket | sed 's/\\\\\//\//g' | sed 's/[{}]//g' | awk -v k="text" '{n=split($0,a,","); for (i=1; i<=n; i++) print a[i]}' | sed 's/\"\:\"/\|/g' | sed 's/[\,]/ /g' | sed 's/\"// g' | grep -w ticket |  awk -F "|" '{print $2}'`
echo $TICKET
curl -k -b "PVEAuthCookie=$TICKET" https://$PROXY:8006/api2/spiceconfig/nodes/$NODE/qemu/$VMID/spiceproxy?proxy=$PROXY > spiceproxy
remote-viewer spiceproxy

And anything we can use on Windows?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!