Can't get web management page working after installation

The point is I want to have exactly like ubuntu gui. or windows gui. Same desktop and normal. but it is just terminal. The joomla CT is working but the ubuntu's ct terminal is not. Whatever I type, nothing happens.

Capture.JPG
which template is this based on?
I only use CTs as server (headless) machines, and I always got a CLI, ie what I expected...

did you try to just press "enter"?

[edit]
this?
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ubuntu_Precise_Standard
also see
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:Virtual_Appliances

Marco

The joomla CT is working but the ubuntu's ct terminal is not. Whatever I type, nothing happens.

so, it could be the template: which exactly did you use for joomla and ubuntu?
I will try to use the same, and report, if you can tell me which...

just remember that ofter for size reason most CT templates are basic (thought for web services and such), but when you have CLI working, you can use apt-get install for everything, afaik.

Marco

I used the same link you gave me for ubuntu template. but whatever I type nothing happens see this picture:
Capture.JPG

So now, what should I do? What should I type?
What is CLI and how can I make it work? Is it necessary?

so, it could be the template: which exactly did you use for joomla and ubuntu?
I will try to use the same, and report, if you can tell me which...

just remember that ofter for size reason most CT templates are basic (thought for web services and such), but when you have CLI working, you can use apt-get install for everything, afaik.

Marco

(CLI is the command line interface)

Ok I got it sorted out:

one of the sticky post in this forum
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/11...for-OpenVZ-Debian-containers-(V2-2-and-later)

point to this:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OpenVZ_Console#Ubuntu_12.04

basically openvz templates have something incompatible with pve nowadays, but it's easy to fix (I installed a 12.04 standard and while initially had your behaviour, black screen, then I did what the wiki suggests, and it worked).

Also, I created a CT with bridged network, but when I was "in" the CT (with "vzctl enter CTID") I had only local interface, no eth,
I edited (using editor vi) the file /etc/network/interfaces, and it was:
-------------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

so I modified like
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

since I have a LAN dhcp, otherwise I could have added a static eth config.

If you use venet (not bridged) interface it could be different and easier.

Then executed (inside CT) ifup eth0

so I finally had network active, and executed

apt-get update
apt-get install nano

since "nano" is my favourite text editor :)

then, since I prefer use ssh to manahe CTs, I executed

ifconfig eth0

that gave me the dhcp assigned IP, and I am now connected with putty on windows

finally,
I agree that templates should ideally be ready and simpler, but...
let me know if it works for you

(btw I had also to update java on this pc I'm using now, since it had 1.6 and crashed horribly :-D : the latest 1.7 r51 worked at first try)

Marco

Last edited:
I used bridged mode and Vnet both. both none of them gives me a terminal that works. No command works.
Where should I have access and open /etc/network/interfaces to ake that change you said?

(CLI is the command line interface)

Ok I got it sorted out:

one of the sticky post in this forum
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/11...for-OpenVZ-Debian-containers-(V2-2-and-later)

point to this:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OpenVZ_Console#Ubuntu_12.04

basically openvz templates have something incompatible with pve nowadays, but it's easy to fix (I installed a 12.04 standard and while initially had your behaviour, black screen, then I did what the wiki suggests, and it worked).

Also, I created a CT with bridged network, but when I was "in" the CT (with "vzctl enter CTID") I had only local interface, no eth,
I edited (using editor vi) the file /etc/network/interfaces, and it was:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

so I modified like
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

since I have a LAN dhcp, otherwise I could have added a static eth config.

If you use venet (not bridged) interface it could be different and easier.

Then executed (inside CT) ifup eth0

so I finally had network active, and executed

apt-get update
apt-get install nano

since "nano" is my favourite text editor :)

then, since I prefer use ssh to manahe CTs, I executed

ifconfig eth0

that gave me the dhcp assigned IP, and I am now connected with putty on windows

finally,
I agree that templates should ideally be ready and simpler, but...
let me know if it works for you

(btw I had also to update java on this pc I'm using now, since it had 1.6 and crashed horribly :-D : the latest 1.7 r51 worked at first try)

Marco

u know what? joomla is working fine for me but none of the ubuntu templates work. So I gave up. I will use joomla. I am going to install svn or cvs server on that tos ee how it works.

Thank you so much for your help. I will ask my questions later. you helped me a lot.

I used bridged mode and Vnet both. both none of them gives me a terminal that works. No command works.
Where should I have access and open /etc/network/interfaces to ake that change you said?

even without java console working, after you create the CT XXX, with bridget network, then start it
when pve gui states CT XXX is "running", open pve console (from the gui or by ssh/putty) - not CT XXX console, obviously, you still can't access it - and execute:

vzlist

you should see that CT XXX is running

if yes, execute

vzctl enter XXX

you will be "entered" in a console of the CT XXX (even if not through the web browser)

enter

hostname

you will get your CT XXX hotname

now, execute

vi /etc/network/interfaces

you will get the current /etc/network/interfaces file, which has only

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

then press "i" go to "insert" mode

move the cursor at the end and modify the file like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

then press "esc", ":", and then write "wq", press "enter"

if all goes well, if you execute

cat /etc/network/interfaces

you should get something like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

if yes, execute "ifup eth0"

then execute

ifconfig eth0

you should see your CT XXX IP address (you must have a dhcp server on the LAN)

if this works, your CT has network connectivity. from now on you can apt-get update and then apt-ge install what you want.

then type "exit "

you will exit the CT XXX console, and go back to pve host console

type

ping <CT XXX IP address>

CT XXX should answer, and be reachable...

Marco

Thank you so so much. You helpe me alot and finally I could get entered in to my CT from the shell.

Only one problem left. When I open pve console, I can easily enter to the CT as you said but when I go to the CT console again, It is still not working again just like before. Should I always use the pve shell to work with that CT?

even without java console working, after you create the CT XXX, with bridget network, then start it
when pve gui states CT XXX is "running", open pve console (from the gui or by ssh/putty) - not CT XXX console, obviously, you still can't access it - and execute:

vzlist

you should see that CT XXX is running

if yes, execute

vzctl enter XXX

you will be "entered" in a console of the CT XXX (even if not through the web browser)

enter

hostname

you will get your CT XXX hotname

now, execute

vi /etc/network/interfaces

you will get the current /etc/network/interfaces file, which has only

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

then press "i" go to "insert" mode

move the cursor at the end and modify the file like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

then press "esc", ":", and then write "wq", press "enter"

if all goes well, if you execute

cat /etc/network/interfaces

you should get something like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

if yes, execute "ifup eth0"

then execute

ifconfig eth0

you should see your CT XXX IP address (you must have a dhcp server on the LAN)

if this works, your CT has network connectivity. from now on you can apt-get update and then apt-ge install what you want.

then type "exit "

you will exit the CT XXX console, and go back to pve host console

type

ping <CT XXX IP address>

CT XXX should answer, and be reachable...

Marco

finally I could get entered in to my CT from the shell.
Only one problem left. When I open pve console, I can easily enter to the CT as you said but when I go to the CT console again, It is still not working again just like before. Should I always use the pve shell to work with that CT?

..? I do not understand. Let's reassume:

1) you get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui
2) you can enter the CT shell through pve command line, using "vzctl enter XXX" (where XXX is the CT ID)
3) you have so access to internal CT files
4) so you can, eg, modify /etc/network/interface, and issuing ifup have network working inside CT
4b) then, you can issue "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install nano" inside CT
5) still, you get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui
6) of course, because you MUST also do what it's suggested here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OpenVZ_Console#Ubuntu_12.04, ie:
7) again, after enter the CT shell through pve command line, using "vzctl enter XXX" (where XXX is the CT ID)
8) issue "nano /etc/init/tty1.conf"
9) Change/Create the file that it looks exactly like this:
Code:
start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]

stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1
10) then Save the changes in nano (using "CTRL-O", then pressing "enter", then using using "CTRL-X" to exit nano)
11) then shutdown/start the container
12) after CT restarts, you should NO MORE get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui, but
13) you SHOULD get a "black" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui, but if you press "enter", you should see the CT login or the CT shell in the java/vnc console

I did this yesterday, before replying to this thread, from scratch, new CT & all, and it just worked :)

Marco

Last edited:
Yes. last time I did every you said all the steps went right but again the ct was not responsive. today I tried to do number 8,9 but after I typed those and I clicked I save I got error. Kinda got stuck in number 10. When I press on ctrl+O to save it gives me an error, please look at the picture:
Capture.JPG

1) you get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui
2) you can enter the CT shell through pve command line, using "vzctl enter XXX" (where XXX is the CT ID)
4) so you can, eg, modify /etc/network/interface, and issuing ifup have network working inside CT
4b) then, you can issue "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install nano" inside CT
5) still, you get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui
6) of course, because you MUST also do what it's suggested here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OpenVZ_Console#Ubuntu_12.04, ie:
7) again, after enter the CT shell through pve command line, using "vzctl enter XXX" (where XXX is the CT ID)
Code:

stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
10) then Save the changes in nano (using "CTRL-O", then pressing "enter", then using using "CTRL-X" to exit nano)
12) after CT restarts, you should NO MORE get the "black unresponsive" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui, but
13) you SHOULD get a "black" screen if you open the java/vnc console from the pve web gui, but if you press "enter", you should see the CT login or the CT shell in the java/vnc console

I did this yesterday, before replying to this thread, from scratch, new CT & all, and it just worked :)

Marco

Ok sorry that was ubuntu 8.04 , I run ubuntu 12.04 and I opened the tty1 config file, those things were already there so I did not change anything and I exited. I shutdown all and restart the CT again but still when I open the CT it is same as before:((:)

Capture.JPG

Code:

stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

Marco

Ok sorry that was ubuntu 8.04 , I run ubuntu 12.04 and I opened the tty1 config file, those things were already there so I did not change anything and I exited. I shutdown all and restart the CT again but still when I open the CT it is same as before:((:)

...I don't understand why, I did again yesterday all the steps, and worked at first try.

try posting output of pveversion -v, let's compare packages.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!