Proxmox VPS Host

Raymond Burns

Apr 2, 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
Hello ALL,
I am starting to setup a 3 - server cluster using redundant NAS. I believe going NFS filesystem is the best choice for this, but I wouldn't mind hearing one way or the other. This is using OmniOS.

What settings do I need to set on my firewall in order to properly facilitate hosting VPS? I am using PfSense.

What Proxmox practices do I need to put in effect for VPS? Use KVM or OpenVZ? I plan on using WHMCS to start this endeavor. I won't start selling until I get somee Proxmox support, but I will be testing with free Koozali guests to contribs.org.

Please advise.

Pls ask clear questions and only one per thread. And read through the docs and the forum before you ask.

Your post reads like "I have no idee pls tell me all" :) - so the answer is, read the wiki docs first.

I understand, so here is my revision:

Q4 2013, I will be completing a 3-node Proxmox cluster. It will utilize a 2-node redundant OmniOS for storage using the NFS storage model in order to take advantage of Proxmox High Availability.
I plan on doing some VPS Hosting and have come to some roadblocks in the workflow.
I will be using OpenVZ in order to use either WHMCS or Hostbill, and easily deploy VPS guests. Now the issue with my thought process is in my firewall server. Each VPS will have it's own IP. How do normal VPS hosting situations give access to their customers? My wiki reading revealed that most VPS give port 22 access and whatever port for cPanel (2083), but my understanding is that a port request can only translate to 1 internal IP (ie mydomain.tld:22 can translate to 10.1.10.2:22 only, and not other VPS). Would I need a static IP from my ISP for each VPS?

If you have advice on anything else, I will gladly take it, but that is my main question. I am still in the building process, so nothing is set in stone right now, except for the budget.

Got It!
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/1681-Multiple-VPS-behind-one-public-IP?p=9177#post9177
Basically, each VPS needs a public IP. Good to know. I will setup my Initial Firewall server as just a router. I will have to create another network behind that for my internal, and use pfSense within a VM. I have to use pfSense to protect my websites and squidCache to enable more bandwidth for my video streaming.

Now I just need to build it and test it.

I'm going to indulge OP, despite the fact I agree the scope of the original post exceeds reasonable expectations of a single thread. But, as I said, I'm posting because I think a helpful atmosphere is better than a hurtful atmosphere.

First, I recommend NFS. The iSCSI + LVM backend is solid, but I've found that you can't (or at least I can't) snapshot VMs when using iSCSI+LVM. However with NFS you can. Furthermore with NFS you aren't constrained by explicitly provisioning the space, by default you just use what you use and there is no hard cap you set off the bat. In terms of performance it's a thin line between NFS and iSCSI and really both work just fine.

Second, the question about how to run a VPS hosting environment is such a broad question I think you need to revisit exactly what you want to do first. However, it is worth noting you don't inherently need one public IP per VPS, this is simply one way to do it, and it's up to you as to how you want to run it.

Third, OpenVZ vs KVM is more than just efficiency, the nature of each is very different. KVM is effectively full and/or paravirtualization. However OpenVZ (and my understanding is limited) is more of a "VM sharing the host". I haven't had much luck with OpenVZ, and there are security considerations that need to be taken before you decide to use OpenVZ.

Anyways that's all I'm going to contribute. I think OP needs to revisit his goals before posting more.

I've reevaluated my goals according to Tom's Post.
I have stated I will be using NFs due to the Live Snapshot feature. The only real issue I had with NFS is the synchronous write performance compared to iscsi asynchronous. I've seen random benchmarks stating 30mb/s with ZIL and L2ARC, but I will get my system and test.

I have also stated I was going with OpenVZ in order to facilitate easy provisioning with WHMCS or Hostbill, not sure yet which is best for this application.

My end goal is to allow for multiple servers to be available to the public, mainly open source software developers, such as SME (Koozali). That's my way of giving back. I wasn't really trying to start a new business or anything, just give back.
That's my goal: Provide environments for Open Source software and non profits to enhance advancements in technology and software.

I had a hard time understanding how, in terms of something like SME, would you have multiple email servers behind a single Public IP all using port 25. But I understand that multiple public IP's would need to be designated for each VPS. Then I had a hard time understanding how people or companies were running 40+ VM's when most ISP limit you to only 15 Static IPs (ie. http://business.comcast.com/smb/services/internet/ipaddress ). This I'm still stuck on, but I doubt I will have more than 15, so I will do more research until then.
But thanks for responding

UPDATE::
I have decided upon several NFS NAS over OmniOS/Napp-IT
I will be using pfsense in front of my blade servers, and, by my understanding, I have to purchase a block of IP addresses from my ISP (Comcast) that WHMCS or Hostbill will provision.
I am setlling down to WHMCS because they already have great OpenVZ implementation, from my understanding, and only KVM require manual intervention. If this is still true during my test, then I will be fine with this setup until I learn to write my own module using the API.
I will have another PFsense firewall to protect my local LAN.
The only thing left is for me to figure out the best security implementations for my future VPS customers. I am thinking it will be through my firewall, and no access to ssh, but VNC and Panel.
I think this is a good setup, utilizing 6 nodes and 2 NAS. Of course I will be licensing the 6 nodes when I finish building them out, and, hopefully, this fulfills my requirements to becoming a partner with Proxmox :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!