[CRITICAL] Huge IO load causes freezing during backups

Hi there,
I know, this seems to be closed for some time now, but we still have a problem with the snapshots leading to a load beyond 5, slowing everything down :( We backup a server of ~600 GB with 40 MB/s which takes about five hours, and at least for the first two hours, the server is not accesible....

Hi there,
I know, this seems to be closed for some time now, but we still have a problem with the snapshots leading to a load beyond 5, slowing everything down :( We backup a server of ~600 GB with 40 MB/s which takes about five hours, and at least for the first two hours, the server is not accesible....

You should open a new thread detailing your problem. This thread was about a particular kernel issue that caused a server freeze that required a reboot, not a slowdown during backups (which can be affected by many things).

What version are you runnning?

From what I understand, everything past 3.1 doesn't have the issue of high i/o load locking up the server.

You should open a new thread detailing your problem. This thread was about a particular kernel issue that caused a server freeze that required a reboot, not a slowdown during backups (which can be affected by many things).

Unfortunately and shockingly this problem is appearing again. It hit one of our servers two times in the last couple of days: once during backups (as previously), and once today with no reason (IO load) at all.
Will post the details as soon as I can.

Last edited:
We still had this issue occur a few times in the past months on Proxmox 3.4 nodes, but only when manually stopping the (snapshot) backup from the web interface. Then all IO stops, and load starts to increase indefinitely. Only hard reset can restart the nodes.

Proxmox 3.4 on Adaptec RAID10, LVM, ext4, noop scheduler.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!