Making physical drives available to VM's and Network

S

Simba

I recently installed Proxmox and am now, for the first time, setting foot in VM-land, so bear with me..

I started by installing Proxmox on my server, which for a large part I use as a NAS for other boxes in my home (among which a PC, some laptops and a XBMC home entertainment pc). I'm now researching Proxmox to see if I can deploy it in a small enterprise environment in october.. that's the background..

My setup:

* 300GB SATA, Proxmox VE installed here, out-of-the box partitioned by the installer as a LVM. Tempspace for Proxmox, appliances, images and ISO's are all placed here.
* 1TB (3x) and 3TB (1x) SATA-II drives. On the previous system these were mounted as \data1-4 and made available through SMB (and experimentally NFS, but I ended up not using that much.)

On my previous system things were easy, it had samba running and in the samba configuration file I configured the access to these disks.
My idea was that I'd install Proxmox, and run a Fileserver appliance do this thing, but apparantly it can't see those disks as they are outside it's protected VM environment.

I could ofcourse install samba on Proxmox itself, but I have a gut feeling that's not really how you'd supposed to run a VM environment. So my question is, is it possible to make these drives available to a VM, and how??

What other scenario's would be possible?
I'm reading about things like OpenFiler, Virtio and iSCSI..

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!