Unable to connect to fresh installation of proxmox

G

geeknine

I am using desktop components trying to install proxmox and create a virtual enviroment for practice for a few certifications.

I am using a private subnet, 192.168.0.0/24

Proxmox IP = 192.168.0.2/24
Gateway= 192.168.0.1/24

I install proxmox, but it cannot communicate with the gateway or receive a DHCP address.

My hardware is

AMD FX8320
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.3 (NIC = 1 x Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
32GB of Corsair RAM

I have testing the board while windows was install on it for a brief period just to stress test the hardware and it all functioned. The network adapter grabbed an IP via DHCP and my windows host could access it over port 80 and 443 to get to an IIS hosted webpage.

I have run out of ideas.

Here are the outputs from a few important files. and commands.

/etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

netstat –rn
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Windows IRTT Iface
192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vmbr0
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 vmbr

Results of a ping to the gateway (192.168.0.1)

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=# Destionation Host Unreachable
ifconfig
I am not going to type the whole thing out, but here are the basics.

eth0 had only an IPv6 address and vmbr0 had an IPv4 address with the subnet I had assigned to it, everything was correct. I did try giving an address to eth0 directly and completely disabling vmbr0 but that did not yield any positive results.

Am I running into a driver issue, ubuntu could not connect to the network either.

Thanks.

Am I running into a driver issue, ubuntu could not connect to the network either.

Thanks.

looks like the realtec chip is not detected. I suggest you just plugin a Intel NIC.
if you want worry free Proxmox VE installations, use server hardware.

looks like the realtec chip is not detected. I suggest you just plugin a Intel NIC.
if you want worry free Proxmox VE installations, use server hardware.

It is not so easy. This is chipset/driver issue. Same as in: http://www.silentapproach.net/computer/computer-hardware/article/msi-990xa-gd55-amd-950-usb-2-and

I also tried all these things with Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (rev.3) with FX-8350 , even enabling IOMMU, but no luck so far. This thing affects Linux only - DragonFlyBSD, Windows and FreeBSD have no problem with this.

You have to build 8168 driver, it loads 8169 drivers for realtek card.

I had same problem and my motherboard was from asus.

It is not so easy. This is chipset/driver issue. Same as in: http://www.silentapproach.net/computer/computer-hardware/article/msi-990xa-gd55-amd-950-usb-2-and

I also tried all these things with Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 (rev.3) with FX-8350 , even enabling IOMMU, but no luck so far. This thing affects Linux only - DragonFlyBSD, Windows and FreeBSD have no problem with this.

Hi! I have the same motherboard, and have been trying for the last two days, a proxmox installation on top of debian wheezy, on it.
For the debian installation, enabling IOMMU in the Bios, made the Realtek card work. But when I installed the Proxmox kernel, the chip stopped working again.
I compiled the driver as suggested in many forums, with no luck. Finally, I got to know, that the problem is that the debian wheezy kernel, has support for IOMMU enabled by default, and the pve kernel does not.
The good news is that you can enable it, if you pass the following parameter to the pve kernel:

amd_iommu=on

You can test it, at the grub menu, pressing "e", and adding the parameter at the end of the linux kernel line.
If it works, you can then modify the grub configuration file, to make it permanent.

I had to enable IOMMU again, because I tried so many things. After enabling it in BIOS and following your advice builtin ethernet started working. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!