qmp command 'balloon' failed

si458

Renowned Member
Hi All,

im getting a weird error whenever i try to rollback to an snapshot on one of my KVM machines?

its coming up saying 'TASK ERROR: VM 162 qmp command 'balloon' failed - unable to connect to VM 162 socket - timeout after 31 retries'

but when i connect into the kvm machine, the machine has rolled back to that point in time?

any ideas?

Regards

Simon

I just opened my own thread on this error... Have you found a cause for this error? Is this serious???

I saw these errors since I enabled memory ballooning on a pfsense VM with virtio.

I am worried so I would like to know if you got to the bottom of this.

thanks!!

I just opened my own thread on this error... Have you found a cause for this error? Is this serious???

I saw these errors since I enabled memory ballooning on a pfsense VM with virtio.

I am worried so I would like to know if you got to the bottom of this.

thanks!!

Hi, AFAIK, balloning is not supported on freebsd.
That's could explain why you have this message.

Hi, AFAIK, balloning is not supported on freebsd.
That's could explain why you have this message.
No true. The virtio drivers on FreeBSD*) also contains a virtio balloon driver and to the best of my knowledge it seems to work as expected.

*) I have tested 8.3 <= FreeBSD < 10

pf-sense
cat /boot/loader.conf.local
virtio_load="YES"
virtio_pci_load="YES"
if_vtnet_load="YES"
virtio_balloon_load="YES"
virtio_blk_load="YES"

Last edited:
No true. The virtio drivers on FreeBSD*) also contains a virtio balloon driver and to the best of my knowledge it seems to work as expected.

*) I have tested 8.3 <= FreeBSD < 10

pf-sense
cat /boot/loader.conf.local
virtio_load="YES"
virtio_pci_load="YES"
if_vtnet_load="YES"
virtio_balloon_load="YES"
virtio_blk_load="YES"

Yes, these lines are exactly what's recommended to do on pfsense's wiki.

If you look at my thread, you will see several errors:

WARNING: VM 100 qmp command 'balloon' failed - got timeout
WARNING: unable to connect to VM 101 socket - timeout after 31 retries
WARNING: unable to connect to VM 100 socket - timeout after 31 retries
WARNING: unable to connect to VM 102 socket - timeout after 31 retries

VM100 is the one with the ballooning enabled (the pfsense VM). AFAIK, ballooning is also enabled by default on CentOS (VM 101) (anyways default CentOS install loads balloon driver and listed with lsmod) but not on Windows XP (VM 102). With this, I conclude that whatever happened with ballooning seemed to influence all VM's on the node which I find concerning to say the least.

"Unable to connet to socket" what does that mean?

"Unable to connet to socket" what does that mean?

qmp is a protocol, which is used to get stats from the vm or for example execute commands in background (migration,move disk, disk resize,....)

for ballon, this is pvestatd daemon, which each x seconds, try to grow and lower the memory, using qmp protocol.

now , why it's timeout, I don't known. Some qmp commands wait for a response of the vm.

and for "unable to connect", this is strange, they are no reason.

Or maybe your host is overloaded ? (cpu ? memory ?)

qmp is a protocol, which is used to get stats from the vm or for example execute commands in background (migration,move disk, disk resize,....)

for ballon, this is pvestatd daemon, which each x seconds, try to grow and lower the memory, using qmp protocol.

now , why it's timeout, I don't known. Some qmp commands wait for a response of the vm.

and for "unable to connect", this is strange, they are no reason.

Or maybe your host is overloaded ? (cpu ? memory ?)

Overloaded I dont think so but aound the time it was "slow" and these errors (or rather warnings) appeared in the console (syslog), the node was performing some SMART tests on the drives, I could hear them scratch away so intensely...

I will keep an eye on that but if someone can provide more info please do so.
Thanks!

Did you find a solution? When I want to restart or shutdown wm it stuck at the end of logging of screen. And I have to use Stop command. Here is logs. Do you have any idea? WARNING: unable to connect to VM 100 socket - timeout after 31 retries

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!