no quota engine running?

gkovacs

Renowned Member
Dec 22, 2008
Budapest, Hungary
Today a couple of these messages waited for me on the console of our shiny new 2.3 install (ext4):

Code:
BUG: Quota files for 121 are broken: no quota engine running

This 121 OpenVZ VE is on the machine for 3 days, but today is the first time these messages appeared.
Last night I restored some other VE's to the machine, which seems to be connected to this.

Any ide what and why is happening?

not really an answer to your question but using ext3 for openvz is the the recommended fs. therefore its the most tested and most stable setup. I run all openvz production machines on ext3. why do you need ext4?

Proxmox vms and ext4 will work, but will have problems. I believe there is an issues with live backups or snapshots to be specific.

As tom mentioned using ext3 is recommended & supported by the community and should not run into issues.

We checked, and all our OpenVZ VMs say this under options:
Code:
[B]Quota UGID limit: User quotas disabled[/B]

Any way to check why quotas are disabled, and how to turn them on?

not really an answer to your question but using ext3 for openvz is the the recommended fs. therefore its the most tested and most stable setup. I run all openvz production machines on ext3. why do you need ext4?

We need ext4 for one reason: speed. We host many OpenVZ VM's with 50-100 GB storage each, and vzdump backups take a huge amount of time. On ext4 they are much faster.

Also the kernels used in PVE 1.9 weren't really stable on our hardware, we have been experiencing random freezes and reboots (usually once a month). Fsck on ext3 takes ages (30-50 minutes) on our 1 TB Adaptec RAID arrays. Fsck on ext4 is much much faster. Also vzquota took a lot of time during these unscheduled reboots, another 10-20 minute per large VM. So every reboot like this caused 2 hours of downtime.

Last edited:
We checked, and all our OpenVZ VMs say this under options:
Code:
[B]Quota UGID limit: User quotas disabled[/B]

Any way to check why quotas are disabled, and how to turn them on?

Really? No idea at all?

Could you at least tell me where to look for any logs / error messages by the quota engine?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!