Resize disk option on Proxmox 2.3

rahul

Mar 13, 2013
Hello,

The "Resize disk" option is working fine on windows VM. But how to do the same in Linux?

I have increase the disk space using the option Resize disk for Linux VM, but still the partition shows old size. Do we need to perform any further operation to take effect? If so, how can I?

Sure, you have to extend partition and filesystem on the guest. Download i.e. systemresquecd iso, add to the vm, boot with it (options... boot order), open the console, follow the boot process, enter keyboard code when asked, issue "startx" to have graphical interface, use gparted, quit, shutdown the vm, remove the iso from it, adjust boot sequence, reboot :)

just like you have to adjust the partition size in windows guests after resizing, you have to do the same thing in linux guests... only that its easier in linux (dont have to go to the awful disk management).

in linux guests you first resize the "partition" using lvresize and then resize2fs /dev/path/to/the/LV , no booting into rescue systems or anything of that sort required.

if you decided to not use LVM inside the linux guest, you can follow this: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks#Linux_guests_-_online_resizing which also does not involve turning off the guest.

Resizing disks on Linux along with associated gotchas seems to be a common problem (stop/start != restart and that adding disk space doesn't make that space available until the administrator has dine extra steps)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!