backup proxmox config fails

totalimpact

Renowned Member
Dec 12, 2010
I am trying to make sure my system is easily restorable should something break the proxmox host os.

My VMs are stored on separate storage from the pve OS.
I have 3rd storage location for backups

I have rsync'd /etc and /var to my backup storage after stopping all of the pve services i could find.

I installed a new OS drive, installed proxmox to it, and rsync'd my /etc and /var backups back on to this new drive.

When I login to the web ui, it shows my server, but no vms under it - it would appear i dont actually have the entire config - any ideas?

If you stop all the proxmox services prior to doing a backup, you also disable the service that provides the filesystem for /etc/pve, where all the VM configs are residing and thus /etc/pve will be empty

[URL="http://forum.proxmox.com/members/10-dietmar" said:
dietmar[/URL];72084]You restored all file under /var/lib/pve-cluster/ ?
yes

If you stop all the proxmox services prior to doing a backup, you also disable the service that provides the filesystem for /etc/pve, where all the VM configs are residing and thus /etc/pve will be empty

That makes sense, but all my vm config files are in there on the new drive, i guess i will try it with services started.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!