proxmox 2.3 +win7 not starting after restore

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi

I have a win 7 kvm machine on a proxmox 1.9 cluster. The machine is working well. i made a backup and restored it on a proxmox 2.3 cluster.

The machine starts, but is only showing "WIndows starting..." and that hangs forever.

Does anybody know hoew i can get the machine working?

I tried the same with several win 2008 servers (KVM) and all worked. It seems that it is only a problem with this one machine.

Start with boot cd , select console, and run a fsck with recovery options.
It seems a filesystem/boot problem.

try once booting in safe-mode, then boot normally.

try once booting in safe-mode, then boot normally.

I already tried that, no success.

Also booted from installation iso, but when it comes to restore, it says this version of windows is not compatible with the installed os.

Thats a miracle, because i installed the machine with exactly the same iso

Also booted from installation iso, but when it comes to restore, it says this version of windows is not compatible with the installed os.
Did u try with console mode ? Same error?
Are u sure u have the right disk association insidie the VM?

as windows works on all other Proxmox VE boxes, something is wrong on your place. check your installation, hardware, etc.

Try with different hardware configuration, like IDE and not virtio, none ethernet device, only one cpu core, 2Gb of ram .
Try with another ISO maybe. Do u have another version of Windows 7 to try? (maybe professional or home )

I have successfully run the Win7 Pro installer from .iso mounted on IDE, and hard disk on VIRTIO. After the first reboot it continues fine, then reboots again, seemingly fine, where it asks to create a user. My ISO is named X17-59186.iso (official Digital River .iso from MS), MD5: ed15956fe33c13642a6d2cb2c7aa9749.

Code:
# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/103.conf
boot: dc
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide1: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1-52.iso,media=cdrom,size=57126K
ide2: local:iso/X17-59186_(Windows_7_Pro_SP1_x64_English).iso,media=cdrom,size=1950880K
memory: 512
name: Recovery
net0: e1000=DE:D7:8D:6E:8E:5A,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: l26
sockets: 1
virtio0: local:103/vm-103-disk-1.qcow2,size=12G

Just noticed that I have the host type set as Linux 2.6, but it works with that.

VitaminJ, thank you a lot.
I've faced with upgrade several VMs from backup (was on 1.9 version).
After restoring .. all was starting fine (some tuning for net cards) but one VM Windows Server 2008 R2 was hanging on start.
On safe mode it was hanging on last: classpnp.sys
I was crazy hours spent... Checked file system it has some minor problem, but fixed and looked fine.

The only reason was found to change type of OS to Linux 2.6.
That's all.
Thanks for this short message. Probably it will help others.

Thanks for the replies here. I had a similar problem restoring a Window 7 Pro image:

I created a Windows VM, attached a rescue .iso file to run the restore process (Acronis True Image), and USB hard drive to load the data. Restore went fine, but then I couldn't reboot into the restored disk image. Booting into the .iso files (including Win 7 install iso) also worked fine, but running the Win 7 installer repair task didn't fix anything.

What's going on? Answer: Windows config is looking for a SATA drive, not a SCSI drive (the default Proxmox hard disk driver), so it won't boot.

*SOLVED:* Detached the disk from the VM (disk is still there), re-attached it using a SATA driver, rebooted: WORKS!

reference for changing disk controllers:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/change-disk-device-from-ide-to-virtio.9694/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!