Snapshots with OpenVz

dundee

Mar 7, 2013
Hi,
I'm wondering what is the best way to do LVM snapshots for OpenVz containers.

In the default confguration all containers are places in one logical volume (data), so when doing backup of one container via LVM snapshot, the whole volume is being snapshoted which I think can lead to IO performance lost.

I was looking for some similar solution which is available for KVM (Proxmox creates new logical volume for VM on selected volume group), but I haven't found anything like this in Proxmox 2.3.

How are you doing this? What do you think is the best way? Do you create logical volumes for containers manually or use just one volume for all of them?

Thanks

I know that it works, but I'm not sure if it's good idea to do LVM snapshot of the whole lv where all data of all containers are placed.

So my question is if you do it like this (all containers on one lv) in production or if you create one lv per container (manually).

I know that it works, but I'm not sure if it's good idea to do LVM snapshot of the whole lv where all data of all containers are placed.

So my question is if you do it like this (all containers on one lv) in production or if you create one lv per container (manually).

I have no issues here but you can setup as many storage's as you like. test it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!