Proxmox 2.3 not able to run Realtek RTL8111 (R8168) but Debian Live 6.0.6 is ok

kotakomputer

Renowned Member
May 14, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.proxmoxindo.com
I use Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, using Debian Live 6.0.6 amd64-rescue I can PING to outside, but when using Proxmox 2.2/2.3 is not able. Hope in the next version Proxmox support Realtek RTL8111 (R8168). I will try manual Realtek driver install and will report again.

Just to note, Proxmox does not use the Debian Kernel, we use a RHEL6 based one. What hardware do you use in detail?

for anyone who is having problems with this motherboard and network cards with the RTL8111/8168 chip on debian/proxmox, after hours of hair pulling, I finally have a solution. you don't need any special packages besides the pve-firmware for proxmox and firmware-realtek for debian, you just need to do 2 things:1. enable IOMMU on the motherboard configuration2. only on proxmox, enable IOMMU by editing the file /etc/default/grub and adding "amd_iommu=on" to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT variable. then execute update-grub to update the configuration and reboot the system.that's it, now your network card will work, just don't ask me why.

also, my post got all jumbled up, I'm guessing because of the quick reply mode, but I can't post a normal reply nor edit the message because the forum won't load.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!