dedicated network for live migration

draak

Mar 1, 2012
Hello,

Could you please advise on setting up a dedicated network for live migration?

I've got two networks, client and storage. I could possibly use storage network for that, but I'd prefer having both servers directly interconnected by a cross-over cable.

Thank you.

Hello,

Is there any way that this can be achieved? Because it is not very elegant or efficient to do migrations over the production network.

Thanks!

I've sent a feature request, than you for your suggestion.

It would be nice to have this functionality, as migration over live production network is not desirable.

Aw shit, and i who just connected my two servers to be able to use Proxmox HA and Live migration - since multicast isn't supported on Hetzner.

I tried the guide to change from multicast to unicast, but i can't access the config file as root even though the guide says i should be able to.

What to do?

Aw shit, and i who just connected my two servers to be able to use Proxmox HA and Live migration - since multicast isn't supported on Hetzner.

I tried the guide to change from multicast to unicast, but i can't access the config file as root even though the guide says i should be able to.

What to do?

Use OpenVPN tunnel to make private network with multicasts. Works perfectly inside Hetzner

Hello,
Could you please advise on setting up a dedicated network for live migration?
I've got two networks, client and storage. I could possibly use storage network for that, but I'd prefer having both servers directly interconnected by a cross-over cable.
Thank you.

I suppose you can assign an IP for another vmbr and use that IP to manage Proxmox VE. Should be checked if I am right.

I have cluster communication over my DRBD backend. This allows me to do live migrations over the 10GB networks. I have no issues utilizing the web gui over my LAN network.

So, is this feature going to be added? I think it would be a very good addition to set up a dedicated migration network. Thanks.

Last edited:
As indicated above, file a feature request in the bugtracker if it does not already exist.

Hello. It seems not to work.
I configured eth0 (@ip 192.168.3.91, lan 100Mb/s) for the Web interface and I put eth1 in vmbr0 (@ip 10.0.10.91, lan 1Gb/s).
Eth1 is connected to node 2 by a crossed cable (iperf results 936Mb/s for eth1 and 91.5 Mb/s for eth0).
During a live migration, the traffic still uses eth0 (migration speed 48.76 MB/s downtime 134ms).

I also configured migration_unsecure in datacenter.cfg but live migration still starting ssh migration tunnel.

I use proxmox 3.2-4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!