Initial configuration? Bonding & Bridging

StuartIanNaylor

Oct 17, 2012
Hi I am trying to show off how super proxmox is but I always struggle on the default debian install and I am unsure what is different to the ISO.

I have run up a small server with x4 RAID drives configured software RAID and the LVM and mounted the Data partition on /var/lib/vz.

That bit goes ok also I have copied the the vbr0 details for eth0 to my local subnet.

Where I seem to go wrong is with creating a bond and then providing a bridge on that.

# network interface settingsauto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth1 eth2
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-alb

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I am sort of confused to how to get a working system.

This is obvious as the install breaks if you don't edit /etc/hosts
Setup hosts file for pve-manager

vi /etc/hosts# Set to your machine's actual vmbr0 interface IP from above instead of 127.0.1.1192.168.0.90 somemachine.mynet.net somemachine pvelocalhost

Does this need to be done?
Setup NAT forwarding

# Savevi /etc/sysctl.conf# Uncomment the linenet.ipv4.ip_forward=1# Save/testsysctl -p
Also IP6 ?
For IPv6 "proxy_ndp" needs to be activated.
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/proxy_ndpecho 'net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp=1' >> /etc/sysctl.conf
Also I have been confused with bridging and bonding specifically.

Do you install bridge-utils & ifenslave-2.6 ?

Also in what order should they auto-start or not?

The servers are all fairly common affairs with 1x wan and 1xlan.

The lan I was hoping to create a bond and then bridge that to various servers.

I have had varying degree's of success from not being able to reach the vbr1 IP or it would seem its dropping packets with sporadic results.

Dunno if its just me being dumb but I need to get proxmox up and running with the server config I want.

But the initial setup for evaluation does have me scratching my head as the initial configuration seems a little sketchy even the instructions in the wiki miss a few items such as /etc/hosts.

Stuart

Attachments

• PVE-Network.png
    PVE-Network.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 6
  • vm-network.png
    vm-network.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!