setting up KVM machine with to use different physical network interfaces

G

gavfranc

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with what is possibly not a unique set up. My main proxmox 2.2 server has 4 network ports. I need to have a virtual machine with 2 interfaces also. A KVM machine with eth0 and eth1. I want to run a LTSP server on this KVM machine so the eth0 is connected to the main gateway and access to the internet. The eth1 will connect to a different subnet via another port on the server.
I have set up 2 bridges as follows.

vmbr0 on eth0 using 192.168.131.2
vmbr1 on eth1 using 192.168.132.2

However on my virtual machine, even with no network cable on eth1 on the physical server I can still ping it so all bridged traffic is still going to eth0 and eth1 is being ignored. I need to be able to isolate the second virtual port completely so ltsp dhcp does not begin to conflict with the main dhcp.

Thanks

Gavin

You gotta think of VMBR0 like a virtual switch, so if you bridge eth0 with VMBR0 is like plugging eth0's cable into a virtual switch which is represented by VMBR0.

From what I see above you have made 2 bridges, and both of them carry the same IP address. If these both feed into the same main network then you will have MAC addy problems and see alot of weird traffic stuff. A solution that comes to mind would be to setup eth0 bridged to VMbr0 as you have done above, but now setup VMBR1 with your private address range in mind. Then on your VM you setup 2 NIC's , one for VMBR0 and one for VMBR1, once you setup your addressing correctly for both you should be able to ping the WAN and LAN IP's.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!