Proxmox and storage sas

ramarro

Feb 12, 2013
Hello everyone, I currently have a the following configuration:
Two nodes "DELL PowerEdge R510"
Storage PowerVault MD 3200 with attacks sas
I would have liked to run Proxmox VE to create a cluster of two nodes, but the specifications is not possible and even going to manually configure the server.
The ability to use storage sas is planned for the new release?
There is a workaround to make it work?

thanks

what problem do you have with the sas? provide more details.

what problem do you have with the sas? provide more details.

Hi Tom,
the problem is that the node does not recognize the storage.
I would like to use it as a storage sas network storage or fc, with RHCS can use the storage with GFS and use it to the vm.
With Proxmox is not recognized as common storage but is seen at best as a local disk of the node. This will not let me live migration

I hope I was clear, sorry for my "google" english :)

unfortunately I can not 'cause of the difficulties I encountered are as follows:
1. multipath is not managed: I can not load the drivers for the storage in the kernel.
2. graphical interface can not create lvm 'cause the disks are seen double.

storage has 2 plug for each node

Hi hotwired007,
I saw the wiki, but there is what I seek.
my storage and 'in sas hba 2 per node for ridondaza.
The storage network is not so I can not use the iscsi, and 'directly connected to the nodes with cable sas.

thanks anyway

i suspect you will still need to use multipath-tools and have a similar multipath.conf as the one on the iSCSI multipath.

in the end i paid Proxmox to setup the multipathing correctly - it might be woth you doing the same if you cannot find out how to do it otherwise.

It seems you can not do it, but with other virtualizzatori is
Here it is included in the development of the recognition and inclusion in the multipath kernel drivers of storage management.
Perhaps it is a need that in few but that it would be useful to my company
I'm considering a simple virtualizer for cluster systems with 2 nodes and a storage sas already 'possess.
Proxmox looked very promising with respect to more complex and expensive RHEV, OVM, VMware etc ...

I do not get the point. as far as I see you just need to configure multipathing here.

the point is, but you can not configure multipath ...
Tomorrow if I can try again to install and send you some screenshots / log message for clearings better

the point is, but you can not configure multipath ...
Tomorrow if I can try again to install and send you some screenshots / log message for clearings better

I'm not sure if it's related, but I get a lot of trouble with multipath on "local storage"

I had to install a clean debian, then multipath support and after that proxmox VE as you can see on the other thread.
It's the same?

Ok after first installation :

1- one node and the storage connected with only one sas cable : the installation wizard view only storage disk, not the local disk node
2- one node i have installed proxmox in local node disk, shutdown and i have connected the sas storage with one cable: i see the disks in sas storage
- installed multipath and create multipath.conf reboot: the system dont start
3- two node with proxmox in cluster. Connect storage with on cable from every node. i can create lvm local fs for vm: lost half storage. Half for node 01 and half for nodw 02

Ok after first installation :

1- one node and the storage connected with only one sas cable : the installation wizard view only storage disk, not the local disk node
2- one node i have installed proxmox in local node disk, shutdown and i have connected the sas storage with one cable: i see the disks in sas storage
- installed multipath and create multipath.conf reboot: the system dont start
3- two node with proxmox in cluster. Connect storage with on cable from every node. i can create lvm local fs for vm: lost half storage. Half for node 01 and half for nodw 02

The multipath issues are easy enough to fix and will occur with the SAS6 HBA (LSI2008) and any MD3xxx series SAS array, this is in fact normal multipath behavior on Linux.
If you are unable to do this yourself, it should not be hard to find a consultant to do it for you that is familiar with SCSI and dm-multipath.

The multipath issues are easy enough to fix and will occur with the SAS6 HBA (LSI2008) and any MD3xxx series SAS array, this is in fact normal multipath behavior on Linux.
If you are unable to do this yourself, it should not be hard to find a consultant to do it for you that is familiar with SCSI and dm-multipath.

Perhaps you're referring architectures like RH or SLES where there are the drivers.
In debian and in particular on Proxmox not the RDAC kernel module is not loaded returning an error.
This is the first reason why I am writing this post.
The second reason is, however, with or without storage multipath SAS is seen not as external storage but as a local disk.
This fact forces me to be able to use half the storage node 1 to node 2 and half: I lose half the space.
This is not acceptable, if there is no solution, unfortunately I have to use other products, but I wanted to make a last tentavivo asking for help in the forum

Perhaps you're referring architectures like RH or SLES where there are the drivers.
In debian and in particular on Proxmox not the RDAC kernel module is not loaded returning an error.

why do you think the rdac kernel module is missing?

I assume you are looking for:

Code:
root@pve:~# modinfo scsi_dh_rdac
description:    Multipath LSI/Engenio/NetApp E-Series RDAC driver

if you need this module, you need to load it manually with modprobe. if you want to make it permanent, add the module in /etc/modules

just to note, our kernel is based on latest RHEL6x.

You don't need RDAC at all. Multipath replaces the RDAC kernel driver.
The second reason is, however, with or without storage multipath SAS is seen not as external storage but as a local disk.
Which is perfectly normal for all SAN storages in Linux.
This fact forces me to be able to use half the storage node 1 to node 2 and half: I lose half the space.
That's why you need multipathd installed and a correct multipath configuration.

[h=2]Proxmox iscsi boot installation[/h]
Hi,

I followed the proxmox install guide on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_ISCSI_installation but was not able to get it to work. i used Debian wheezy during the bootstrap process and also used the pve-test apt repository. i added following in /etc/apt/sources.list on the boot disk:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pvetest

i also installed pve-kernel-2.6.32-27-pve kernel instead of pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve which is mentioned in the install guide. the pve-kernel-2.6.32-27-pve is required by the proxmox test repository. Besides this i followed all the steps mentioned in the installation guide. We are using ipxe chainloading for the installation. The diskless server gets an ip from the dhcp server and displays the grub menu but after that the boot process gets stuck and a black screen is shown. No error messages are displayed.

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!