More backup issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Streak

Alright, here's my problem....

Cron went off without a problem like it was suppose too and the server attempted to back up my VM's....however...there was errors.

This is what I got this morning...

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 102 103 104 101 105 --quiet 1 --mode snapshot --mailto klupo@aggies.ncat.edu --compress lzo --storage backup[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (openvz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: CTID 100 exist mounted running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: status = running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: backup mode: snapshot[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: ionice priority: 7[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: creating lvm snapshot of /dev/mapper/vm_storage-vms ('/dev/vm_storage/vzsnap-rytlock-0')[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO:   Volume group "vm_storage" has insufficient free space (9 extents): 1024 required.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - command 'lvcreate --size 4096M --snapshot --name vzsnap-rytlock-0 /dev/vm_storage/vms' failed: exit code 5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 101 (qemu)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 101 failed - Undefined subroutine &PVE::Storage::cluster_lock_storage called at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 240.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 102 (openvz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: CTID 102 exist mounted running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: creating lvm snapshot of /dev/mapper/vm_storage-vms ('/dev/vm_storage/vzsnap-rytlock-0')[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO:   Volume group "vm_storage" has insufficient free space (9 extents): 1024 required.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 102 failed - command 'lvcreate --size 4096M --snapshot --name vzsnap-rytlock-0 /dev/vm_storage/vms' failed: exit code 5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 103 (openvz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: CTID 103 exist mounted running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 103 failed - command 'lvcreate --size 4096M --snapshot --name vzsnap-rytlock-0 /dev/vm_storage/vms' failed: exit code 5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 104 (openvz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: CTID 104 exist mounted running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 104 failed - command 'lvcreate --size 4096M --snapshot --name vzsnap-rytlock-0 /dev/vm_storage/vms' failed: exit code 5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (openvz)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: CTID 105 exist mounted running[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]ERROR: Backup of VM 105 failed - command 'lvcreate --size 4096M --snapshot --name vzsnap-rytlock-0 /dev/vm_storage/vms' failed: exit code 5[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]INFO: Backup job finished with errors[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=tahoma]TASK ERROR: job errors[/FONT][/COLOR]

Now vm_storage is an LVM with 5.7TB of free space. The Largest VM that's listed is the fully virtualized 101 730GB with only about 10GB of that 730GB used. The other VM's are containers with only 4GB each. I have them backing up to an NFS on my network and if I shut any of the VM's down, the one I shut down will back up with no problems.

I did change size to 4096 in the /etc/vzdump.conf on the recommendation I saw in a forum to fix the hang up I was getting when attempting to back up the fully virtualized VM 101 (730GB). That's the only thing I changed, however.

What am I doing wrong, if anything? Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

post the output of 'pvdisplay'

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Here's the output:

Code:
 --- Physical volume ---  PV Name               /dev/sdb1
  VG Name               vm_storage
  PV Size               1.82 TiB / not usable 2.77 MiB
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              476931
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          476931
  PV UUID               WwmQKx-WJc7-Azl3-Ligb-dgpU-AAbr-2ho4iH

--- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdc1
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          476931
  PV UUID               9s50LP-OhW7-UwbW-VPYz-jvbv-flfq-6gNG2l

--- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sdd1
  Allocatable           yes
  Free PE               9
  Allocated PE          476922
  PV UUID               0BRLW3-AQjS-Ds2K-Otte-omJp-FQV2-2ceccc

--- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               pve
  PV Size               931.01 GiB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes
  Total PE              238339
  Free PE               4095
  Allocated PE          234244
  PV UUID               ASpTCB-bTYE-rDrk-5k3a-3fv8-zvRJ-vMDPso

And I thought it might be good to mention, my NFS has 496GB Free on it's drive as well.

You do not have any free PEs, so LVM snapshots will not work.

So what needs to be done to fix this then? I'm not familiar with what PE's are and thought I had set up my LVM properly. can you advise on what needs to be done to correct it?

Thanks for all of your help, it's very much appreciated!

teach yourself about LVM (e.g. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/) or buy support (with remote login).

this forum is also full with LVM howtos.

You...are a complete and utter douche bag and total ass hole. All you had to do was say "PE is the same as block size and you should look at shrinking your LVM" Was that so utterly difficult that you had to be a total ass hole and try to pretend you were higher and mightier then anyone else?

I have gotten several companies, based off my recommendation to move to proxmox instead of other virtualization systems like Citrix or VMWare. I was considering having my company purchase that support with you all. But after your total and utter ass hat response and dick attitude, I will NEVER recommend my company or any other company giving money to you since this is the way you treat the people using your system.

The fact is, I had my LVM set up correctly. And here in the real world, we call them Blocks, not PE's. I simply unmounted my 5.6TB LVM and shrunk it to 5.2TB. That bloody simple.

Next time, try treating the people you're "Helping" with a little more respect.

you get the full analysis of your problem and the solution within a few hours.

most time people are happy after they get help for free within this short time. seem you don´t like this and you also do not respect the forum rules.

sorry, but this leads to a forum ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!