Configure install via boot parameters?

achekalin

Jun 17, 2011
Try to use http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Quick_installation boot params to use disk the way I like, and here is what I miss: there are maxroot, swapsize, maxvz and minfree params. Is the sum of that sizes is the whole size of storage? Or simple maxroot+swapsize+maxvz=total size, and minfree is "inside" maxvz?

Understandably enough what root and swap sizes (by the way, it is quite a question how much space should I use for swap: the virtual host shouldn't use much of it, so use "twice as RAM size" rule looks silly, moreover RAM in such a server may be really huge - may there be any recommendations from gurus for swap size?).

Now, am I right: the minfree value is something that's left in "pve" space snapshots can be made?

And which sizes be used if given values not to be fit together? Here is some examples, if I use storage of 1000Gb:

1) maxroot=20, swapsize=30, maxvz=900, minfree=50 -> we'll see root=20, swap=30, vz=900, and in that 900 there'll be 850 Gb of useful data and 50 Gb reservation for snapshots - right?

2) maxroot=20, swapsize=30, maxvz=1000, minfree=50 -> root=20 Gb, swap=30 Gb, vz=950 Gb and reservation in it will be 50 Gb - right?

The wonderful thing of Proxmox being Free Software is that you can always check the code and learn :)
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-installer.git;a=blob_plain;f=proxinstall;hb=HEAD
First of all, those parameters are often alternatives, I mean, I can ignore the size but just want to have minimum 8GB of free space, so I will use ONLY minfree=8. Otherwise if I prefer set the vz size I can set maxvz and the free space will be calculated by Proxmox installer.
If you enter conflicting requirements you have to check the code to see how are resolved, probably your 2) is right.
And about swap space, there is a more sophisticated calculation, like:
swap size = total RAM
if RAM < 4GB set 4GB of swap
if RAM > HDSIZE/8 then swap = HDSIZE/8
at least, is what I understand from the code.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!