"ERROR: can't do online migration - VM uses local disks" on shared storage

tarax

Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

Slowly building my first production PVE HA cluster (2 node), I solved all the troubles I faced up to now (and learned _a_lot_ on this road !) but I'm breaking my teeth on the last I'm struggling with :'(

Nodes (pve01 and pve02, HP ML350, up to date PVE 2.2), network (2xGbEth bond0/vmbr0 for the LAN, 2xGbEth direct links bond1/vmbr1 w/ jumbo frames for storage), storage (HW RAID, LVM VG on DRBD on LVM LV) are setup, cluster is created and nodes are joined, fencing (domain and ipmilan devices) is configured and barely tested. Only qdisk left to be configured.

About the storage configuration
Code:
2xIntel 520 240Gb SSDs
  \_HP SA P410 w/ 512M FBWC RAID1 array with accelerator disabled as recommended by HP
    \_ /dev/sda3 configured as LVM physical volume
      \_ vgpve01vms: LVM VG for virtual machines storage
        \_ lvdrbd0vm101: DRBD backing LV for VM 101 (for resizable DRBD devices etc.)
          \_ drbd0: Pri/Pri DRBD device dedicated to VM 101 (for isolated DRBD mgmt of each VM)
            \_ vgdrbd0vm101: "vm101" PVE _shared_ storage (dedicated to VM 101)
              \_ vm-101-disk-1: VM 101 KVM disk device configured as "virtio0: vm101:vm-101-disk-1"

VM 101 is a KVM W7 VM configured as follow:
Code:
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
cpu: host
keyboard: fr
memory: 2048
name: wseven
net0: virtio=8E:CA:D1:58:82:A0,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
virtio0: vm101:vm-101-disk-1

DRBD is working nicely through its dedicated network.
Code:
 0: cs:Connected ro:Primary/Primary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r-----
    ns:21734972 nr:0 dw:13289664 dr:131091039 al:2372 bm:1298 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0

Network configuration seems stable and well performing according to iperf.
PVE storage configuration seems all right and is coherent on both nodes. "vm101" VG is actually marked as shared and available to nodes pve01 and pve02 in storage.cfg on both servers:
Code:
lvm: vm101
        vgname vgdrbd0vm101
        shared
        content images
        nodes pve01,pve02

VM starts, runs, stops and is backep up (to RDX) smoothly...

BUT I can't migrate it because of the following error:
Code:
1443 Dec 14 12:02:26 starting migration of VM 101 to node 'pve02' (192.168.100.20)
1444 Dec 14 12:02:26 copying disk images
1445 Dec 14 12:02:26 ERROR: Failed to sync data - can't do online migration - VM uses local disks
1446 Dec 14 12:02:26 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
1447 Dec 14 12:02:26 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): Failed to sync data - can't do online migration - VM uses local disks
1448 TASK ERROR: migration aborted

I may have made a mistake, but I really can't see which one as this worked on my PoC setup (that I sadly can't access ATM :'( ) This PoC was built exactly the same way (LVM VG on DRBD on LVM LV on Soft RAID) and live migration of (W$, Linux, FreeBSD) VMs was working without a hitch.

But The Beast keep telling me I'm using local disks and I can't possibly figure out why ?!
The only suspect I can think of is CLVM which I'd have supposed to be running... but is not. As the few relevant mentions of it (replacing PVE's own lock mechanism in v2 on one side, and only needed in v2 in rare circumstances on the other) seem a little contradictory to me, I thought I'd better ask for enlightenment before struggling further.

Thank you in advance for your answers and comments.
Time for a recomforting 12 year ol' bram...
Have a nice WE
Bests

Hi,

About the storage configuration
Code:
2xIntel 520 240Gb SSDs
  \_HP SA P410 w/ 512M FBWC RAID1 array with accelerator disabled as recommended by HP
    \_ /dev/sda3 configured as LVM physical volume
      \_ vgpve01vms: LVM VG for virtual machines storage
        \_ lvdrbd0vm101: DRBD backing LV for VM 101 (for resizable DRBD devices etc.)
          \_ drbd0: Pri/Pri DRBD device dedicated to VM 101 (for isolated DRBD mgmt of each VM)
            \_ vgdrbd0vm101: "vm101" PVE _shared_ storage (dedicated to VM 101)
              \_ vm-101-disk-1: VM 101 KVM disk device configured as "virtio0: vm101:vm-101-disk-1"
Hi,
I'm also don't see the problem - but for me is your config much too complicated and first of all too unflexible.
I prefer:
Code:
disks -> Raid-controller -> volume [sdb]
sdb1 - drbd0 - lvm a_ssd_r0 (lvm-storage for all VMs on node a on drbd ressource r0)
sdb2 - drbd1 - lvm b_ssd_r1 (lvm-storage for all VMs on node b on drbd ressource r1)
If one VM need the full space - why not, but normaly you can use the drbd-space for some VMs and expanding an vm-disks is very easy.

One curios thing: your vm-disks has'nt the disk space in the config. Normaly with pve2.2 you should have the entry?!
Like "virtio0: a_sas_r0:vm-151-disk-1,size=8G".

Udo

Code:
1445 Dec 14 12:02:26 ERROR: Failed to sync data - can't do online migration - VM uses local disks

Most likely there is some stale disk somewhere. Try to run:

# qm rescan --vmid 101

After that you should see all disk in the VM config.

Are you sure your VM is not using an ISO as CD? I know nothing about cluster and HA, but when I backup a VM with an ISO (like the virtio.iso or the installation ISO that I forgot) and try to restore in another Proxmox server I get an error.
So go in your hardware config of the VM, or check the 101.config for that.

Hello,

Dietmar, you made my day !!!
Code:
# qm rescan -vmid 101
# git diff pve/nodes/pve01/qemu-server/101.conf
diff --git a/pve/nodes/pve01/qemu-server/101.conf b/pve/nodes/pve01/qemu-server/101.conf
index 103a2bd..5b57b8d 100644
--- a/pve/nodes/pve01/qemu-server/101.conf
+++ b/pve/nodes/pve01/qemu-server/101.conf
@@ -1,11 +1,11 @@
 bootdisk: virtio0
 cores: 2
 cpu: host
-ide2: none,media=cdrom,size=44690K
 keyboard: fr
 memory: 2048
 name: wseven
 net0: virtio=8E:CA:D1:58:82:A0,bridge=vmbr0
 ostype: win7
 sockets: 1
-virtio0: vm101:vm-101-disk-1
+unused0: local:101/vm-101-disk-1.raw
+virtio0: vm101:vm-101-disk-1,size=18G

Remove the once deleted and back from the grave ide2 and unused0 devices !
And after that:
Code:
Dec 15 15:07:02 starting migration of VM 101 to node 'pve02' (192.168.100.20)
Dec 15 15:07:02 copying disk images
Dec 15 15:07:02 starting VM 101 on remote node 'pve02'
Dec 15 15:07:03 starting migration tunnel
Dec 15 15:07:04 starting online/live migration on port 60000
Dec 15 15:07:16 migration speed: 170.67 MB/s
Dec 15 15:07:16 migration status: completed
Dec 15 15:07:19 migration finished successfuly (duration 00:00:17)
TASK OK

This nevertheless lead me to the following question: where do these ide2 and unused0 devices were staled ( ? Is there some kind of caching somewhere ? Is this due to pmxcfs internals where FS view can become different of DB content ?

Anyway, you can be sure I won't forget this one 'cause it's bitten me hard !
Thanks again Dietmar for the speed and efficacity of your support
Have a _very_ nice WE !

PS: When switching a cdrom to not use any media, shouldn't the size be set to 0K or simply unset instead of retaining the size of the previous media ?

Hi Udo,

I'm also don't see the problem - but for me is your config much too complicated and first of all too unflexible.

Why is that unflexible ? In which case(s) ?

Code:
disks -> Raid-controller -> volume [sdb]
sdb1 - drbd0 - lvm a_ssd_r0 (lvm-storage for all VMs on node a on drbd ressource r0)
sdb2 - drbd1 - lvm b_ssd_r1 (lvm-storage for all VMs on node b on drbd ressource r1)
If one VM need the full space - why not, but normaly you can use the drbd-space for some VMs and expanding an vm-disks is very easy.

With this setup, storage space allocation between VMs of each node is carved in stone. How do you handle the case where you initially allocated 50/50 and you later have a VM requiring more storage space than others putting you in need of a 30/70 repartition ?
Making sdb a physical volume, creating a volume group for VM storage, and using logical volume as DRBD backing devices, I can allocate space to any VM on any node. Plus, if a VM comes to need more space, a 'lvresize' followed by a 'drbdadm resize' do the job.
Finally, for devices stack creation/deletion, a small shell script with a handfull of arguments automates and normalize these operations
I agree this is a piece of layer cake where one can get confused, but a good naming convention (still not really satisfied with mine) and ideally a recent version of util-linux providing the allmighty 'lsblk' command make things very much clear.

One curios thing: your vm-disks has'nt the disk space in the config. Normaly with pve2.2 you should have the entry?!
Like "virtio0: a_sas_r0:vm-151-disk-1,size=8G".

Well spotted ! Solved by Dietmar's 'qm rescan' advise :)

Bests

This nevertheless lead me to the following question: where do these ide2 and unused0 devices were staled

Seems a remove failed, but I have node idea why. Maybe you manually edited the VM config?

Is this due to pmxcfs internals where FS view can become different of DB content ?

what?

PS: When switching a cdrom to not use any media, shouldn't the size be set to 0K or simply unset instead of retaining the size of the previous media ?

yes

Seems a remove failed, but I have no idea why. Maybe you manually edited the VM config?

Yes I did ! Aren't we supposed to do so ?

As I understood it pmxcfs is a fuse FS above some kind of distributed SQLite DB (but chances are I completly misunderstood !)... so I though there could be situations where FS view/files content could be out of sync with internal/underlying DB content and 'qm rescan' is a way to recover sync state (may be reading straight from DB).
If I totaly lost myself here, be assured of my gratefullness if you care sheding some light on this... may be simply just expliciting what 'qm rescan' does actually ?

ok. Should I fill some kind of ticket/bug report somewhere for this ?

Hi Udo,

Why is that unflexible ? In which case(s) ?
Hi tarax,
the most effort of an virtualisation platform is to create fast VMs. In your case you must define for each first an LV, an DRBD-resource, sync them and so on.
And if you have trouble with an node or the connection between both, you must sync a lot of drbd-resources...
With this setup, storage space allocation between VMs of each node is carved in stone. How do you handle the case where you initially allocated 50/50 and you later have a VM requiring more storage space than others putting you in need of a 30/70 repartition ?
Yes, this is an limit which you don't have. But I can live without problems with this (depends on the recource planing).
Making sdb a physical volume, creating a volume group for VM storage, and using logical volume as DRBD backing devices, I can allocate space to any VM on any node. Plus, if a VM comes to need more space, a 'lvresize' followed by a 'drbdadm resize' do the job.
Finally, for devices stack creation/deletion, a small shell script with a handfull of arguments automates and normalize these operations
ok - with an script to do the job automaticly it's perhaps also usefull (but not for colleagues, which need the gui to create an VM).
I agree this is a piece of layer cake where one can get confused, but a good naming convention (still not really satisfied with mine) and ideally a recent version of util-linux providing the allmighty 'lsblk' command make things very much clear.
Have you make performance test? If you have 20-30 VMs some with more than one disks I think there was an impact, or not?

Udo

Yes I did ! Aren't we supposed to do so ?

If you remove a drive manually from the config, you also need to remove the corresponding file manually..

As I understood it pmxcfs is a fuse FS above some kind of distributed SQLite DB (but chances are I completly misunderstood !)... so I though there could be situations where FS view/files content could be out of sync with internal/underlying DB content and 'qm rescan' is a way to recover sync state (may be reading straight from DB).

You simply removed something from the config without removing the corresponding file. 'qm rescan' detects that and re-add it to the config.

Should I fill some kind of ticket/bug report somewhere for this ?

Yes - please file a bug at bugzilla.proxmox.com

If you remove a drive manually from the config, you also need to remove the corresponding file manually..

You simply removed something from the config without removing the corresponding file. 'qm rescan' detects that and re-add it to the config.

In this case it detects a non existing cdrom with a faulty size remaining from the last used ISO image (the virtio one for instance), and a dummy file image just aimed at loading VirtIO drivers on new W$ installs. In both cases, once the job done, I don't want to delete neither the CD ISO, neither the dummy disk image as I will use them again.
Anyway, this is still not clear where those params can get stuck and where/how does 'qm rescan' reveal them ?

Yes - please file a bug at bugzilla.proxmox.com

Done

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!