Error "Connection error 501: Not Implemented"

lcasale

Renowned Member
Oct 19, 2012
I'm getting a "Connection error 501: Not Implemented" error for some pieces of functionality. For example, I'm unable to remove or edit the hardware for VM's. I currently have Pound configured as a reverse proxy to access Proxmox outside of my network. If I access Proxmox locally I don't have any issues. Anyone know why Pound is breaking some pieces of Proxmox?

FYI...
Pound is listening on ports 80 and 443. The backend Pound configuration for the Proxmox server is port 8006. Apache on the Proxmox server is configured to force SSL.

It looks to me you should ask this in a Pound support forum, not Proxmox. But this setup isn't gonna work even if you manage to configure Pound properly. The VNC console uses a separate port (500x where X depends on the current active console sessions) outside of Pound and/or the Proxmox webserver. So you will never be able to use VNC console in this setup.

Anyway, the "501 Not Implemented" means that your client is doing a HTTP request which Pound does not understand. Pound probably only understands HEAD, GET and POST. Proxmox seems to be using some other request types. You need to enable those in Pound.

If you Google for "pound 501 not implemented" the first hit has your answer:

http://www.mikedellanoce.com/2011/09/enabling-pound-proxy-support-for-http.html

Hello Lcasale,

I too am facing the same issue. My proxmox servers are behind a reverse proxy server, able to connect and also perform the VNC sessions. However i am getting the same error "Connection error 501: Not Implemented" when i try to remove any instance.

Can you please let me know what is it that you did to make this work?

Regards,
Retheesh

Hi lcasale,

Thank you, Your suggestion worked like a charm. To resolve the same problem on Zen LB, set the HTTP verbs accepted to "+standard WebDAV Verbs"

Cheers,
Retheesh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!