Intel Turbo Boost not working

e100

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ulbuilder.wordpress.com
I made some progress.
I added "intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1" to the kernel command line

Then enabled the modules:
freq_table
acpi_cpufreq

I changed /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor to performance, I suspect there is some global setting somewhere just not found it yet.

Now all 8 cores run at 2.4Ghz instead of just 2.0Ghz

Not sure which changes made the most difference or if all are needed but I will test more and post back once I know.

I made some progress.
I added "intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1" to the kernel command line

Then enabled the modules:
freq_table
acpi_cpufreq

I changed /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor to performance, I suspect there is some global setting somewhere just not found it yet.

Now all 8 cores run at 2.4Ghz instead of just 2.0Ghz

Not sure which changes made the most difference or if all are needed but I will test more and post back once I know.
AFAIK the scaling_governor only controls how stepping of the CPU is performed.

Knowing that patch is included is helpful.
I have not been able to get Turbo Boost to work perfectly but I have managed to get it to kick on for every core all the time.
My nehalem cpus seem to work better, they will change clock up or down from the base clock depending on the load.
The sandy bridge I have will by default scale down from the base clock, but have no turbo boost, with some tweaks I can get it to always run in turbo boost mode but never scale down.

To get the most performance with virtually no power saving from the nehalem or sandy bridge I did the following:
edit /etc/default/grub and add "intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="[B]intel_idle.max_cstate=0 processor.max_cstate=1[/B]"

run update-grub

install cpufrequtils:
aptitude install cpufrequtils

Create the file /etc/default/cpufrequtils with these contents:
Code:
GOVERNOR="performance"

Then reboot so all of the changes can take effect.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!